COMPETITION - Greatest Commanders : Bill Slim

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Sep 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This next competition is for the book from Osprey Publications in their Greatest Commanders series and deals with probably Britain’s best General of the 20th Century – Field Marshall Bill Slim.

Bill Slim.jpg

This is your chance to get a copy of this book about the great man, a review of which has been done by OldSnowy and can be found here : Bill Slim. To enter this competition all you have to do is go to the entry form and complete the three simple questions correctly along with your contact details and you will have the chance to win a copy of this book. 5 copies are up for grabs as prizes courtesy of Osprey Publications.

The competition will last until I get round to closing it sometime on Sunday 17th September.
  2. Ageing_Gracefully

This comp has been running for a week now and has a good number of entries. Still room for more though.

If you are going to take part, read the question and when you go to look at Google for the answers, just remember that wikipedia is not the most complete or accurate of sources!!! There are going to be a few disappointed people who read wikipedia, but did not notice the obvious gap in his early career.

Over to you lot.

p.s. Rule 1 [as amended for Rum Ration] will be in operation during this (and any other) competition!
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Last bump - closes tonight.

There was a bit of discussion over on ARRSE about multiple entries - are they allowed, especially if realisation dawns that one has answered incorrectly? Well here is the response I gave to ARRSE:

Now this came about when I pointed out that wiki does not necessarily hold all the information and is sometimes not as accurate or full as one would want!! :)

If you wish to re-visit your answer and try again, please do so.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Done. Top General that Slim, better than Monty.
  5. Ageing_Gracefully

Q1 Bill Slim was commissioned in 1914 into which Regiment?

A = 6th Foot – Royal Warwickshire Regiment. At the time of Slim’s commission 22nd Foot were the Cheshires and 24th were the South Wales Borders.

Q2 – Bill Slim was not always the perfect soldier. How many times was he ‘bust’ (demoted)?

A = Wiki does not mention this but neither does it mention much about his pre commission service. As FM Slim has stated himself that he had lead every formation from section to army during his career it is safe to assume that he had some non-commissioned service i.e. his OTC. This story from Burma Star page;

So, using Bill’s own words and this story from Burma Star page the answer is “One Time”

Q3 - William Slim is well known as a soldier and General. However he did have other jobs; but which of these jobs did he NOT do?
    A = Postman
  6. Ageing_Gracefully

And the winners are: dah, dah

I will be in touch with the winners through the contact email addresses given for their names and addresses - a quick response would be welcomed!