COMPETITION - Black Hearts by Jim Frederick

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Aug 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This is your chance to show your knowledge of the war in Iraq, or more to the point, your skills in using Google properly. There are three simple questions to be answered so go to the Survey Monkey entry form now and have a go.

The competition closes on Saturday 13th August at midnight – plenty of time to scour Google for the answers.

BLACK HEARTS by Jim Frederick

Black Hearts.jpg

Have a look at the review by Captain Crusty which can be found here. An extract from the review:

This is a must read for any junior commander, in fact any commander, so take your chance to get a copy by entering this easy and free competition.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Ageing_Gracefully

Apologies once more for the delay, I have made the mistake of trying to have a life outside ARRSE! :(

The answers to the questions are as follows;

Q1 - What is the area south of Baghdad in the Mahmudiya District know as by the US soldiers referred to in the book?
    A1 = Triangle of Death

Q2 - Jim Frederick's BLACK HEARTS tells the story of iPl, Bravo Co - what is their parent Regiment and Regimental Nickname?
    A2 - Black Hearts Brigade. Now life is not as simple as that and of course the unit has three nicknames!!! Jim Frederick has very kindly emailed me with information and I am accepting all three nicknames i.e. "Black Hearts", "The Deuce", & "Strike Brigade". I am NOT accepting the 101st Divisional Nicknames.

Q3 - What year does Black Hearts story take part in?
    A3 - 2005-2006

To save confusion, I will post the winners names separately.
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Sorry for the delay folks, holidays. change of personalities at the publisher, book festival, site issues have all played a part in delaying the winners' announcement.

Anyhoo, here are the winners, as drawn out by Naomi from the publishers:
    OCdt Firestarter
    HHH - yes, you did get Q2 correct, after a fashion!

I will be emailing the lucky winners to get their addresses and arrange for the books to be sent out. I have to mention that this was the smallest entry and consequently the smalles number of correct entries, 7 only, which meant that 2 poeople missed out on prizes. Don't want to rub in at all, but you deserve a mention for getting the questions correct: janner and sluice_dweller: give yourselves a pat on the back.

In the meantime, the competition for the next book, KURSK, is still running and looking for more entrants.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer