competency questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by russeer, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys forgive my stupidity but im really struggling with some of my competency questions on my Q101 especially the question

"describe a time when you have set yourself an extramural goal or target and strived to achieve it, include information on the outcome"

I havent done much recently in the way of marathons or goals and targets outside of work. If any of you can shout out any ideas or examples of answer i would find it incredibly helpful.

Thanks for your help.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Technically you're actually undertaking an extramural goal right now by asking the question and seeking an answer, grasshopper. [​IMG]

How about when you where at school, college, uni, borstal or wherever when you undertook outside interests such as leaning to play a musical instrument, learned a martial art, progressed through the cadets, church choir, played for a sports team and achieved a relative degree of progress and success.

Good luck, doubtless someone will dream up a more profound answer....

3. Join a gym or sports club and set yourself a physical challenge? Or learn a new skill or a foregin language. You dont have to do a marathon, Im doing a half marathon soon!

4. already doing the gym thing, just i dont have that long left till my aib, onlly a month and i have only just got the Q101. i did learn kung fu and did a few competitions, maybe i could use that...

5. Kung fu sounds good, its a little bit different which will help you stand out.

6. thanks guys you have been a great help, helped put my mind at ease, now just got to get through the aib.

7. The Times crossword try and complete that fecker, if you do that will impress the board. It would bloody impress me.

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Extramural goal, sounds like something Banksy would paint. Dont you lot do 3 oildrums, 1 plank of wood, silly bibs and a huge grassy hole anymore?

9. A key thing to remeber is all you write will be read by the board members, so don't lay any traps for yourself in the paper work

10. In the days of "Old Navy" when RN ships regularly visited the idyllic Island of Malta. Many young inexperienced sailors set themselves the extramural and rather Herculean task of imbibing one glass of alcoholic beverage from each bar situated in Strait Street, otherwise known as "The Gut". There were many bars and many contestants, but I neither know or have heard of a single sailor completing this task.
    Now if one had been able to do it, surely the board would have offered him a commission........................................................................................................................ or a drying out course :w00t:

11. When you were young Slim it would have been a commision, today it would be the drying out course. I think I can remeber getting pissed a few times there myself. One of the other amazing things about Malta was just how good the female bush telegraph was, as I found out.

12. Personally i was always too busy on the dog shoot - never did find any of the little fekkers tho :thanks: