Competency based interview - Scenario Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wraith5641, Sep 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I'm new here and would just like to ask a question. A few months ago I started the Royal Navy recruitment process and have now reached the interview stage. I received a letter to help me prepare for the interview and although most of it is crystal clear, there is a part at the end subtitled "Scenario Questions".

My question is: What are some of your experiences with scenario questions and what are some examples of them?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mod Edit, thread title changed for future enquiries on this topic.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. A rating. I'm applying for air tech.
  3. OK, thank you =)
  4. I had my interview a few months ago and although we didn't have the same prep sheet, as SJRM said it seemed to be 'think of a scenario where....has happened and how you dealt with it'. For me as i have a fair bit of work experience i related mainly to that but if you are fresh out of school or college then drawing examples from that would be gravy i would imagine. Ninja can elaborate more as that was just my experience and he is a recruiter and all that. If you have had any job interviews before afaik they usually refer to those kinda questions as 'competancy based'.

All the best!
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thought that you would be at Raleigh by now R3 :booty:
  6. Jeez you have one meltdown and people keep bringing it up :D
  7. Thank you =)

8. Civvy surely? ^_~
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Why has it taken a "few months" to progress from test to interview?

In the interview you'll simply be asked to provide examples of when you have done something. Examples such as when you furthered your knowledge of a hobby or pastime, when you were part of a team, when you organised something, when you solved a problem and suchlike. Most people give examples from school, college,uni, work, sports teams, cadets, within the family or with their mates.

It doesn't`necessarily need to be when you organised London 2012, created the unified theory or when you were an SAS sniper caught with a garage full of ammo. Typical examples I've heard include organising a night on the lash with your mates, dropping a mobile phone and getting a new one, playing footie in PE & being late for school once.

The scenario bits in the interview are different, they include a scripted imaginary occurrence & you have to explain how you would hypothetically deal with this fantasy scenario. Bizarrely, it's always assumed you are in charge of the made-up situation. It doesn't matter how you would really react, you just have to imagine you're someone that knows what they're on about.

An example scenario could be something like "You're in the SAS, behind enemy lines. Your mission is to deliver food, water and fuel to a covert observation post (OP) under cover of darkness. There are four of you in the resupply team and all's going well. Suddenly, because something always goes wrong in a scenario question, it starts snowing and one of the team breaks his leg. Dawn is only an hour off and the OP is one hours walking distance but your team mate will slow you down. You can only deliver two of the provisions to the OP in the time left. What are you going to do?

By the way, there's no correct answer, you just need to justify your decision.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add, one guy I interviewed really entered into the spirit of the scenario and called-in an imaginary Casevac Chinook accompanied by a couple of napalm-armed F35s for top cover.
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Bit of an optimist then I'm guessing?

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead
  12. Ninja_Stoker

I did want to say "Don't be silly" but didn't want to give him the joy of replying; "Well, you started it".
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Thank you for the reply, it was really helpful and now I have an even better idea of the kinds of things I need to prepare myself for :)

By the way, is it not supposed to takes months to get to this stage? They usually contacted me within 3 weeks after each stage. I just assumed that was normal.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Most applicants are booked for interview within a couple of weeks of passing the recruiting test.
  15. You're referring to the aptitude test, right? Because after that, I booked my eye test and then booked my medical a couple of weeks later.
  16. OMM

OMM War Hero

The process has altered in recent times and brought the selection interview forward to the second hurdle of the application process.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

For those applying after Feb 2013 the selection sequence should be:

Recruiting Test > Competency Based Interview > Eye Test > Medical > PJFT > Security Clearance > Bid for Entry

Pre-Feb 2013:

Recruiting Test > Eye Test > Medical > PJFT > Selection Interview > Security Clearance > Bid for Entry

Presumably you were delayed at the medical stage (TMU referral) or failed PJFT(s).
  18. Ah OK. They must have done it the old way. They did say they were falling behind a bit when they called me to arrange the interview. Must just be because they've been really busy. No matter, not much left to go now anyway :)
  19. I applied in Aug 2013 and my RT was Sept, yet I seem to be following the pre Feb 2013 route...I was given the medical forms after my RT test. Is it region specific, the change?
  20. Have you had your eye test yet?