Comparing ranks between Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 2cool, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. Perfect link , just what i was looking for thanks

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Some would say, "there is no comparison".

• Like Like x 1
  4. I agree with that, although I think, maybe not in the way it was intended. :thumbright:

2ool, don't use that 40Cdo doc as a "DS" answer.

5. DS answer?

6. The answer the "Directing Staff" (DS) may be looking for. The Rank struture is correct, the rest of the imformation lacks depth of knowledge, more than likely as it has been thrown together add hock by some "Gamer" child or other fantasist, as part of a gaming clan; application for vamp

Same goes for any other of the entries on this 40cdo highforum..... a load of old Anoose dribblings.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'd disagree with some of those rank comparison.

I thought a leading rate slightly out ranked a Cpl, a Capt RM out ranked a Lt RN and a Commodore out ranked Brigadiers in both RM and Army.

Obviously Marine out ranks perce's private soldier and jacks AB who both in turn out rank the RAF's propeller person.

8. Tri-service is everything now Blobs so straight comparisons/pay bands.
    I do find your comparison of Cpl and LR an interesting one. Other than the arguement of "senior service", are you basing that on?

9. See:
    This was when RM officers 'jumped up' a rank to their current seniority levels. Prior to this, there was an anomaly whereby RM officers notionally went up a level compared to their RN equivalents while deployed at sea. For example, Capt RMs temporarily became senior to Lt RNs. Nowadays, they are in full alignment whether ashore or at sea.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've always been lead to believe that Mne and AB1 are equivalents, as both are classed as OR2s and on the same pay scale (after 7 years AB1s are on the same as a L/Cpl although they are not equivalent in rank with them being OR3) .

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

11. Of course this depends on whether or not an "Artic Juniors" has been completed or not, not to mention the "Jungle juveniles" etc :thumbup:

JPA and equalisation came in in 2006 (did it not?) going back way before that there were pay differences and pay discrepancies between the services and within one.

Irrelevent to 2ool though as I guess he is looking for current info to revise for interviews etc.

12. wet_blobby

Apologies.... I should have put ** WARNING TO THE DUMB... I MIGHT BE TAKING THE PISS** before I posted the bit about Marines outranking Perce, Jack and crab..... :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. wet_blobby

I'm basing it on many a drunken discussion with matelots whilst serving on HMS Fearless, my stock argument was "Get fucked, you're talking shite" but I have hazy recollections that due to Senior service, tradition, responsibility and historical pay scales Jack did indeed win the argument.

14. Seen. In fairness they have a point, as I'm sure it will be pointed out later they often do a Mne/Cpls job as well as their own part of ship.

15. Is this the RAF equivalent to an AB1?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360861447.972987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

16. Hard to read that......does it say 'Cook' or 'Cock'.

17. Right both times, Stirls.