Companies & shops. The good the bad and the pikey.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Montigny-La-Palisse, Dec 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having had a few nightmares in the past with some robbing fuckers. I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about those companies and stores who are turbo-arse or really good. Ergo warning others before lobbing cash at bastards. Or recommending where necessary.

My first nomination is for Pentagon GPS

An oppo of mine ordered a Garmin Foretrex a while ago, and has heard nothing and recieved nothing.

My Missus dad ordered me a Garmin etrex legend HCX for christmas. Same story, cash cleared from the card immediately and no response to phone calls or emails. Further investigation reveals we are not the only ones.

So, unless we hear a fucking good excuse in the next 48 hours from them, avoid like the plague. I will be conducting further investigations tomorrow as it turns out they own a Toyota garage too and I'll try and find out what the cock is going on through them.

On the upside, I'll take this opportunity to sing the praises of my local Kwikfit, who, despite appearances keep sorting me out with a shit hot deal on everything they do, recently they have topped my BMW dealer in all aspects.

2. Acer. Bunch of cunts. Missus' laptop screen cracked after a couple of weeks normal use. Fcukers wouldn't even answer my letters. Ended up forking out for a replacement screen out of my own pocket.

TalkTalk. Spent nearly a year fighting these cunts over a "disconnection fee" when I moved house and decided not to take them with me as they were too pricey and would have taken a month to reconnect me in my new area. Won in the end though.

Trying hard to think of a company that gives good customer service. Nope, cant do it...

Pikey - JJB, Sport Direct, Wilkinsons, Poundland or any shop in Gosport, Yeovil (lower end), Plymouth (bottom of New George St) or Camborne.

3. Acer are a rubbish company. Bought a laptop with them in 07 and within 12 months it had gone back to the repair centre 10 times! 6 of them with the same fault and 4 interconnected faults. Will never buy from them again!!

4. Not being wealthy like most on this forum, I disagree that sport direct are pikey, as i do Wilkinson's.
    If paying less for the same gear twice the price elsewhere is Pikey then Viva les Pikeys.
    I bought three Mountain Bikes recently from Halfords, they did me an excellent deal for the three, worked out at about £110 per bike . Two of them had been selling at £240 each recently, so recommended especially with the free service and adjustments thrown in.
    And freebie mudguards and slime in the tyres. :D

5. Excellent meal at a friends house down in Cork. Informed me of the recipe from a book by The Cranks Restaurants down in London. Excellent vegetarian food none of your nut pie crap.

I ordered two books by the Cranks from Amazon one arrived the one I really wanted did not. On its way they tell me. Then I get a email informing me order cancelled. The price of the book was £7. When I looked at there site it had now gone up to £70. Bought loadsa stuff of Amazon in the last camera gear etc. Anyway my friend down in Cork visited London she phoned Waterstones from Cork they had the last book price £7.

6. MLP. Did you order off a credit card? Was it over £100?

If so, and nothing arrives get the money back from your card company. s75 CCA 1974.

7. Evans Cycles - Utter bog. I bought a bike from them last year but it had a fault from new, so I sent the fcuker back, they explained they would contact me when it was ready, they never did. Every time I phoned them some Eastern European lad said they were very busy and would get back to me, they never did. Eventually I went in there and demanded the bike back, turns out they had fixed it weeks earlier but just hadn't got round to contacting me. Same situation when I tried to order some bits from them, I paid for the bits and ended up having to chase them for months, in the end they ordered the wrong parts anyway. Complete time wasters.

8. No. It came off my missus debit card. It was £130 odd.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The 'pentagon gps' company seem outwardly reputable: http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBay...1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180

Presumably if telephone calls, emails & 'order tracking' have otherwise proven fruitless & adequate allowance for xmas rush/inclement weather has been made, it's "get onto the credit card for a refund time" as Rosina suggests.

To date I've been entirely chuffed with Amazon & EBay ...so far everything has turned-up within the forecast timescales.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah, rule number one... :cry:

11. They didn't buy it through their ebay shop, did so via the website. I've unearthed a lot of bad reviews recently regarding lack of communication and products not turning up.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews183390.html

12. Chargeback

You can do a chargeback with a debit card the same as you can with a credit card.
    It's part of the Visa scheme and not limited to purchases over £100 so do it and don't let your bank tell you it can't be done.

Chargeback

13. I know where your going with this one, I believe its a section 70 or something similar. Anyway whatever number it is it just got me a £900 return from a dodgy firm on the Internet offering financial services they cant deliver on. The Royal Bank of Scotland who are behind my credit card (Mint) were brilliant, but there again that's what they do best, get money off folks, usually me.

14. The Good- As with NS, my experiences with both Amazon and eBay have been very good. You do need to choose you're sellers carefully on eBay and likewise with Amazon marketplace. Only had one order arrive very late with Amazon the rest, and there have been plenty over the years, have been bob on arriving on time and as per description.

The Bad - Unicom telecom based in Manchester. Ripped off my 74 year old dad with every distance selling trick in the book. Hyper-rude staff, liers with the sole intent of taking your money by any means necessary. Central to the argument was that he had agreed over the phone to a 3 year "rolling" contract, tried to get out early couldn't (fair one). Sent in a letter during the notice period in the last 3 months of the 3 years, letter 'not received' the result of which was he had 'agreed' through the absence of said letter to another 3 years of the same conditions (this was what they ment by rolling!). Many arguments over the phone got it down to one further year instead of 3. They are robbing barstewards and be careful what you agree to over the phone...

The Ugly - http://www.mandmdirect.com/ Get a strong recommend. Ugly for the models that feature on the site (they're not munters, but do have that cheap and whorish look that Monty will love).

They started out flogging clearance outdoor / leisure clothing but have drifted into street fashion which actually makes the site better because the bargains are now hidden away under layers of chav accoutrement menaing they sell out more slowly. A good filtering system on the left of the page lets you shop by brand (Karrimor, Berghaus, Craghoppers etc) with good gear often below half price.

Have had some serious bargains over the years and saved plenty but it needs regular visits to get the most out of it as stock changes very frequently. I have no problem recommending them as there is no danger of them selling out in my size as a result of your visits, you lot being short legged, fat gits (stand fast bootnecks obviously).

15. Going to have to give ALPKIT a mention here too. They are brilliant in so many ways. Great quality kit, cheap as hell and they keep you informed constantly. They often don't hold stock of some things (Filo down jacket, pipedream sleeping bags) but they tell you that and hide nothing, if you're willing to wait they keep you informed and get it to you the day they get it in.

I hadn't heard of them until sometime last year and can't recommend them highly enough.

16. I knew you'd mention them at some point, do they fcuking sponsor you with cheap Chinese made mountaineering gear or something?

I'm not knocking their stuff, it's not bad for the price, but I'd avoid those waterproof sacks. I had a couple to use as bergen liners and they weren't really up to task.

17. :D A wry knowing smile came across my face reading that! MandM catalogue is always worth a cheeky pull in the toilet...I could dedicate a Lils forum to those slutty little minxes

And actually they are a good company will cheap designer gear for those who can't be arsed to go to the factory outlet shops.

18. Not yet. But I figure if I plug them enough they might lob some free stuff my way. Likewise RVops.

These lot are awesome also: Penrith survival

Whilst we're on the subject of praising rather than slating for once. Here's my favourite clothes shop. Great lads and sweet clobber: END Newcastle

19. I notice they are based in Appleby. I find the only survival tools I need in that neck of the woods are as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Appleby. You are correct, the Pikeyhub of Britain.