Communications Technician More Info required.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JEM, Feb 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JEM

JEM

Hi there,

I'm looking for information about the role of Communications Technician from someone within the field or knowledgeable in it. I have the handouts from the AFCO and have asked there for more information about the role but unfortunately none of them were familiar with the role beyond the brief description in the handout.

Basically I am looking for a more detailed job description and insight into the career and life as a Communications Technician.

I have searched through and have found some useful threads especially this one but would like some more info if possible.
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/45673-communications-technician-all-you-can-told-2.html

Info about training after Raleigh would also be appreciated if possible.

2. So just to be sure...you want some info on Communications Technicians?

3. So you've read a thread called 'Communications Technician - All you can be told!' and you want to be told more?

4. JEM

JEM

Haha. Sorry did I not make that clear enough?
    And yes as most of that is just ramblings and un-related bits much like what this thread will most likely become judging by the replies so far.

5. You can't be told more, it impossible. No human could ever absorb that amount of knowledge and survive. except maybe Chuck Norris.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OK here goes.

Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, I started CT course (yes REALLY! Remember The Ayotollah and the Portakabins and the blonde 3O?) at a secret place we'll call Leydene. I was sideways entry, so some of this will not apply to you. On the first Monday, after all the inevitable paperwork and stuff we began learning Russian and :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: The next few weeks and months were crazy with :censored: :censored: :censored:. Then we had to go to :censored: :censored: :censored:.

Anyway, that's why I never finished the course - hope this has helped!

(I just spent ages writing this and filling the goddam page with censored emoticons, only to find it won't let me have more than 11. Rats!!)

7. I love how people 'require' information. They never request it, or ask if anyone might know something, they just use the imperative and expect us to jump.

So, no, I won't tell you what is 'required'.....

8. JEM

JEM

Ok maybe it was badly phrased Alf. Yes I do require the information so I can make an informed decision on a career path I wish to follow so I am requesting it off people more knowledgeable than myself. I have not demanded anything.

9. JEM, as I stated, I was 'nearly' a CT and since have worked in the 'arena' if you will. Get your head around this - you will NEVER find out more (especially on an open forum) than is already posted on here, unless you befriend a CT or use your imagination. They do what it says on the box. :evil3:

There are certain keywords you could put into Google, which might give you more of an idea. If you send me a pm I will provide you with some freely available, unclassified abbreviations. Should these lead you to other linkys on the interweb, then that is fine - but you cannot believe everything you see in the interwebthingummybob - or can you.......... :slow:

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I could tell you, but then I'd be required to kill you, and the paperwork required for that is a real bitch to complete, so no, I won't support your requirement.

11. Good wheeze though when you are transiting the Suez Canal and the pilot makes some highly unsavoury comment in Arabic about the skipper.

12. Try some imaginative googling and link following and see whre it leads you. I have just typed communications technician into google and read a wikipedia article about the US navy branch. Consider it an aptitude test.

13. If you want some specific information or general 'stuff' on the CT Branch then drop me a PM, as a serving CT I may be able to assist you. Addtionally there are already threads out there on this forum.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Shhh. Don't blow your cover Chaz. :shock:

• Like Like x 1
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Jem,

One important piece of selection criteria for CT that you may not have been told yet, you must be either:
    1. A total pisshead.
    2. More than a little bit weird.

If you are either, I'd imagine you'll fit in no problem.:-D

• Like Like x 2