communications roles

Discussion in 'RFA' started by zombie, Aug 15, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Just finished my application for Communications apprentice.

Was hoping someone here could give me more information on the communications branch. What different roles are there and what ranks perform these roles? How many communications ratings are usually on board? although I appreciate this may depend on size of ship. I have read that there is a communications officer, are they promotes from within amd what do they do? I have soent lots of time searching and can find general information on what communications do but not specific roles, do they have specific roles or do you cover all possible tasks?

Thanks for any information.

2. From my perspective they have a nice air con office and a kettle, don't do that much and generally drink allot. Honestly i don't know exactly what they do its not my department. but they do have a better working environment than the rest of us. I believe it is the only department that recruits officers exclusively from within, but i could be wrong.

3. Passed the RT

Awaiting sift to see if i get an interview. Still looking for some more information on the communications branch if anyone can help.

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Try the search function.

5. Thanks

As I said I have searched and found general info but no specifics. Hopefully I will get an interview and will get the oppertunity to ask my questions. Was just seeing if anyone here could give me any more details before, incase the answers to those questions lead to more questions.

I have managed to find lots of threads that answer most of my general queries in detail but no details on my questions relating to the Communications branch.

6. exJenny

They're either sleeping or playing solitaire.

7. Im not a great sleep or cards player, except poker.

Have I chosen the wrong branch? haha

8. hi, I've applied for the communication apprentice as you have done your rt test would you happen to know what the pass mark is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. exJenny

You need to aim to get the highest mark you can, not just the pass mark. Passing the RT doesn't guarantee progressing further to an interview. It is also very unlikely, though not unknown, that you would be told what your score was, just whether you passed or failed.

10. Ah okay I see thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk