Communications Apprentice (Young)

Hi, I've been considering joining the RFA since I was 14, I plan to apply to be a communications apprentice when I turn 15 years and 9 months (in January) and I just wanted to be asked if I was to be accepted will I be the only 16 year old on the course or even the only teenager? Also after I finish my apprenticeship, is it guaranteed that I will be deployed if I wish to?

Sorry you've probably seen/answered alot of these questions but I just want to be sure before I apply in January.
Thanks!

Random

Lantern Swinger
Also after I finish my apprenticeship, is it guaranteed that I will be deployed if I wish to?
Urm not sure you will have much choice, we are sea going organisation, I strongly suspect they will want you to join a ship and go, the only non-seagoing appointment you might be sent to would be a refit ship.

As for your other questions, well I am afraid you will only get the answers you are looking for through talking to the RFA Careers people. Otherwise see Seadogs crystal ball :D

Urm not sure you will have much choice, we are sea going organisation, I strongly suspect they will want you to join a ship and go, the only non-seagoing appointment you might be sent to would be a refit ship.

You'll only deploy to a non conflict zone until you're 18, keep that in mind (No Gulf etc)

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
I was told at interview that you won't go to a conflict whilst under training either. You can't be a sponsored reserve as an apprentice.

Random

Lantern Swinger
You cannot be a sponsored reservist until you are on a full contract (not an apprentice or cadet).

They will try to ensure you do not end up in a conflict zone (war zone, but might not have a formal declaration) whilst under training. But that is best effort, not guaranteed. Whilst they will try their best, the enemy doesn't always cooperate.

Also remember whilst under contract to the crown (full, temporary, cadet or apprentice) when you enter a war zone you become under the authority or the armed forces act, wether sponsored reservist or not.