Commonwealth soldiers form union

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brazenhussy, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. " . . will give advice . . "

Isn't that why we now have Equality & Diverstity advisors?

"In some units, the white soldiers will be given priority for courses over the black soldiers, and the black soldier - no matter how long he's been in, if he has been in four years longer than the white soldier - he will be put behind the white soldier,"

Is this actual racism or perceived racism?

If it is indeed the case, then there are proper channels to go through. In the current climate, COs will be too scared not to take complaints seriously.

2. I thought eligibility depends upon a number of factors. These include seniority but doesn't CO's recommendation, based on merit, ability to complete the course, etc come first. For years many of those who have been constantly dripping about their lot below decks and in the ranks have always included a large number of idle buggers who expect it all on a plate. Colour, creed or ethnicity should never enter into the equation.

SF

3. I wonder if this guy is actually a soldier, and what 'commonwealth' country he originates from? If any ther is any grain of truth, then he could be one bitter person who thinks he is better than he actually is.
    Is this more like a bbc windup? - we all know what this leftie organisation is capable of.

I couldn't find anything on arrse about this.

:?: And is it not illegal for service people to form a union?

4. Sounds like a load of shit to me.
    I have never encountered any racism during my service apart from a bit of banter which works both ways. I am not saying this is the case, but the only commonwealth troops I ever came across had a poor command of the English language, maybe that is a factor when it comes to course selection?

5. There were a fair number of Fijians serving with the SAS at one time. Didn't seem to hold them back when the Military Medals were dished out.
    Haven't heard Johnson Beharry VC or his newly recruited younger brother complaining either. There will inevitably be isolated cases of racial discrimination, there are bigots in all walks of life, but in my experience the average serviceman is colour blind. Had some excellent runs with my Trinidadian oppo in one ship, used to take a Bogtrotter ashore with us as a makeweight!

2BM

6. Gordon Bennet.

It was always the golden rule. We hate the Southern Softies. Bless em! And they hate the Scousers, Jocks, Taffies, Paddies, Yorkies [had to count those in with being Lancastrian bred] so why leave any others out.

7. The thing that disturbs me is the fact, that when the interview was shown on BBC tv this morning, there was a LAWYER sat with the soldier. Cultivating a client maybe?

Keep Striving.

8. From what i have seen of the navy there is only banter not racism. Well i did see one case but he was discharged and he was of indian decent.

9. It is this sort of thing which actually encourages racism and division within a ship/unit...
    Knock it on the head before it gets too serious..

10. Racism - as my "cyclepath" eldest son says "I ain't racist I'll deck any body who needs it!"

11. From the BBC website today..

Say it as it is????
    Top Tory quits over Army race row
    A Conservative frontbench spokesman has resigned after saying some ethnic minority soldiers used racism as "cover" for laziness.
    Shadow home affairs spokesman Patrick Mercer, an ex-officer, told The Times he had "had the good fortune" to command a racially mixed battalion.

But he said being called a "black bastard" was part and parcel of Army life for ethnic minority soldiers.

He was asked by his party to quit his post and did so.

Labour MP Sadiq Khan called the comments "shocking" and "outrageous".

'Way it is'

Of the English-born black men he knew in the Army, Mr Mercer told The Times: "They prospered inside my regiment, but if you'd said to them: 'Have you ever been called a nigger,' they would have said: 'Yes.'

"But equally, a chap with red hair, for example, would also get a hard time - a far harder time than a black man, in fact."

Mr Mercer, MP for Newark, added: "But that's the way it is in the Army. If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard.'"

Mr Mercer also said: "I came across a lot of ethnic minority soldiers who were idle and useless, but who used racism as cover for their misdemeanours.

"I remember one guy from St Anne's (Nottingham) who was constantly absent and who had a lot of girlfriends.

"When he came back one day I asked him why, and he would say: 'I was racially abused.' And we'd say: 'No you weren't, you were off with your girlfriends again.'"

Mr Khan said: "I find these comments shocking and most members of the public will find them outrageous."

Story from BBC NEWS:

12. Personally I find Mr Khan's comments shocking and outrageous, and can only think they are the result of ignorance of the military and predjudice.

13. I agree with everything he has stated, thats the way it is...

If tonys cronys followed the same "resignation" process there wouldn't be any govt left, instead they hang on for dear life and perks...

14. Why is it that in the pre PC world we seemed to have very little racism? Is it because in those days there was no financial gain to be had?
    I wish to bring a claim for being teased both for being a Geordie and for being a fat bastard. I was frequently called a black bastard as were several of my colleagues who were also Honkeys like myself. Taffy my sheep shagging oppo also reckons he was hard done by. I served with a number of black mates and they all gave as much as they took, they were with the exception of one all good mates and I enjoyed working and drinking with them.

15. I have just emailed David Cameron with my politely stated views on the subject, and recommended that he and his aides take a few minutes to peruse the RR and ARRSE websites (which I've no doubt they already do).
    Perhaps others would care to do the same. Just google his name and you'll get an email link.

2BM

16. 30 years down the line and I'm still called Paddy… I wish to claim discrimination!

People seem to have much thinner skins these days and a lot of that is down to the hair shirt mentality in Whitehall. God knows how many 'innitiatives' I had come across my desk in the last 10 years announcing the latest MoD clampdown on Racism.

Personally, I've never seen any overt racism in 30 years, but I've seen a growing and almost religious fanatism on the part of the VSO's and the Civil Service to find it and root it out.

17. I`m still being persecuted for sha**ing a French Bird 49 years ago.

18. Just heard about Mercer; bloody disgrace. I mean his treatment and certainly not what he said. Another bloke who's done a bit and probably now consigned to oblivion because he shines some light on Service reality. My ex RWF and RAOC mate has said similar in the past.

Why does Joe public and up their own bum politicians expect Servicefolk to do beastly things, in beastly places in beastly conditions, on their behalf, and expect them to think and behave exactly as they do? For what it's worth, I find nothing racist in what he said. I've just listened to one of his former RSMs, who happens to be black, and he finds nothing racist in it either.