Commonwealth sailors/soldiers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by danny, May 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is aimed at Ninja really. When and why did the rules change regarding Commonwealth soldiers? I see they now need to live in the UK for 5 years prior to joining.
    Also what is the score with Paddies, I know they are not Commonwealth but I thought were treated as such for recruitment.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It kinda makes you laugh with regard the stated reasons "In order to deliver the future structure of the Armed Forces under the requirements of the Strategic Defence and Security Review, we are already reducing their size by adjusting our recruit intake and making some redundancies". The decision was made by the UK Border Agency & FCO - nowt to do with the Armed Forces.

That'll be why huge numbers made redundant have had letters asking them if they'd like to join the Reserves or rejoin the regulars - Particularly AETs (Gasp, did anyone know we were getting a couple of aircraft carriers?). Not surprisingly the majority have replied with the traditional RSVP: "TTTFO".

Single Nationality Irish Citizens don't need to meet the Commonwealth residency requirement but are supposedly restricted with regard branches available to them.