Commonwealth qualifications

Hello everyone,

I am from the commonwealth and planning on applying for a marine engineering officer role. I did and passed O levels and A levels. I finished a BSc(Hons) Environmental Science degree a few months back but awaiting graduation in 2020 because of late submission of my dissertation.

Do I still qualify to apply as a degree holder?
Also, is it possible to apply & join as a marine engineering technician and apply for an officer role once I graduate and get the transcript?

Cheers everyone

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I think you need to call the helpline to get definitive advice with regard eligibility, particularly with regards age & qualifications: To check initial eligibility call (UK) +441753 804 921.

I'm struggling to find evidence that Environmental Science would be accepted in lieu of an engineering or STEM subject degree for Engineering Officer but would imagine it would be handy if you were interested in Joining as an Environmental Health Officer. Worth checking, either way.

For engineering Technician (Rating), no qualifications are required but you would need at least 5 X O Levels including maths & English to go for a commission.

Snag is, I imagine we will have filled the 300 places available for Commonwealth citizens by 2020 - we've received over 2000 applications since 5th November. Not sure how the late submission of a dissertation puts back graduation two years.

Good luck.

I think you need to call the helpline to get definitive advice with regard eligibility, particularly with regards age & qualifications: To check initial eligibility call (UK) +441753 804 921.

I'm struggling to find evidence that Environmental Science would be accepted in lieu of an engineering or STEM subject degree for Engineering Officer but would imagine it would be handy if you were interested in Joining as an Environmental Health Officer. Worth checking, either way.

For engineering Technician (Rating), no qualifications are required but you would need at least 5 X O Levels including maths & English to go for a commission.

Snag is, I imagine we will have filled the 300 places available for Commonwealth citizens by 2020 - we've received over 2000 applications since 5th November. Not sure how the late submission of a dissertation puts back graduation two years.

Good luck.
Thank you for this information. I will call and inquire

I thought environmental science counts as a STEM degree. And it is not eligible for the environmental health officer role.

About graduation; my university holds only one graduation every January. If you submit a dissertation after the deadline, your marks are not submitted in time before the graduation list is generated. And thus your graduation date is moved to the following year. I already missed out on 2019 & have to wait until 2020.

Thanks a lot

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It would definitely be worth making the call to check rather than waiting over year only to find it's maybe not STEM accredited. Another avenue could be Training Management Officer.

Good luck.