Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Colin747, Feb 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the RN the only branch of the services which operates the three-tier commission system?
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Air Force have a basic 2 tier structure - initial career to age 38/16 yrs followed by extension to 55. There is a Short Commission (8 years) but its rarely offered these days.

Don't know about the Army but believe it is different again.
  3. silverfox

Why you ask, Two Dogs?
  4. "Two Dogs"???

as i am tyring to decide between the three services to join, and after reading that after your initial 12 year commission you have to pass selection for the RN has put me off a bit, hense if the other sevices where the same it would not matter, but by the sound of it if the army or RAF allow you to extend your commission without haveing to be put through a selectin process, it would make them alot more appealing to join.
  5. silverfox

The selection process in the RN means that we have some control as to who gets a longer job. This is based upon actual performance in the service as opposed to a guess on potential and time in, which the RAF base their decision on.

As to the colour of the uniform and the general drop in social standing.... yur choice!!

Two Dogs? - old Red Indian joke...
  6. No extension to a commission is a guaranteed right. You still have to apply for it and your application could be refused. It all depends on the needs of the particular Service and whether you are considered worth keeping. So yes, it is a form of selection.
  7. No job is for life these days every where you have to show your continued value to your employer, that's life

edited to add, if your prime criteria for choosing a particular service is the nature of the engagement rather than the nature of the work then perhaps you should try the crabs.
  8. ahh so you have to apply to extend your commissin in all three services.

maxi who are the crabs
  9. The thick skinned ones that scuttle of sideways at the first sign of work/trouble. Often seen wearing a light blue uniform.
  10. why does the RAF seem to be univerly hated by the RN and army?

11. People resent the fact they mince around an airfield down south. Pretending there in the millitary.

******* crabs.
  12. sorry but why would the RAF be better engagement wise?

as i am looking to join as a warfare officer what would they be looking at in order to allow me to extend my commissino?
  15. i take it alot will be judged on what you commanding officer says about you
  16. Yes (as your 2RO) - guided by your HoD (your 1RO)

i) Before you ask - RO= Reporting Officer

ii) Joining the RAF should be a last resort after being rejected by the RN (1st) and then the Army (2nd)
  17. do you know if alot of people are turned down when there looking to lengthen their commission?

18. I have no answer for this but I'm sure it varies according to the individual's Service and branch or trade. Anyway, such information will have little relevance in your case. Who knows whether we will still have any Armed Forces in 12 years time?
  19. is there any truth in that or are you just having a go at the RAF
  20. Is this Normans new identity?

This guy wants to be a warfare officer.
    FFS this is a newby section not a nimby section.
    If this is the standard applying for a commission lord help us