Commissioning Pendant

general_jumbo.

Midshipman
I've got to come clean.... I have a problem... this is very dificult for me .. I collect .....FLAGS , there I've said it ! mainly ensigns that have finished their lives and are to be consigned to the bin, now I've just found theres one flag I cant have, its the Commissioning Pendant, something to do with the new c.o. claiming it, can someone out there shed some light on his tradition
dave

If you're talking of a completed commission pendant (one and a half times the ships length) then you may have a problem, these would only heve been flown when the ship arrived at it's home port, as to finally 'claimed' the pendant I never knew.
But if you mean the smaller, everday flown, pendant then these used to be Naval Stores items, don't you have an oppo who is a dusty?
:smile:

general_jumbo.

Midshipman
yes its the smaller every day item, my youngest has just branch changed to SEA and its her thats just imformed me about about this 'tradition"

That was the positive side of being a dusty - we had all the books (and the perks - all earned of course) !

Pendant , Ships Commission, used to be in Stores Class 0330, as were Pennants, but these were listed for Commodore One Ball / 2 Balls.
Some signal flags were pennant shaped also, but were in Class 0340.
All before the Nato 13 digit codings became de rigeur for use..

Sad innit... the memories that the brain produces ?!

:smile:

general_jumbo. said:
yes its the smaller every day item, my youngest has just branch changed to SEA and its her thats just imformed me about about this 'tradition"

I'm sure she can chat a up a Loggie and get one for you. Stores ratings enjoy the attention... !! :wink:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
whitemouse said:
general_jumbo. said:

I'm sure she can chat a up a Loggie and get one for you. Stores ratings enjoy the attention... !! :wink:

But we know why they're called "stores" - if they were meant to be given away they'd be called "issues"... :wink:

ANGWISH

Lantern Swinger
whitemouse said:
general_jumbo. said:

She could also try the flag locker, any no. of pennants to choose from in there. Unless things have changed, it should be easy for a bunting tosser to damage or "lose" one :grin: :lol:

sgtpepperband said:
whitemouse said:
general_jumbo. said:

But we know why they're called "stores" - if they were meant to be given away they'd be called "issues"... :wink:

Touche !

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
ANGWISH said:
She could also try the flag locker, any no. of pennants to choose from in there. Unless things have changed, it should be easy for a bunting tosser to damage or "lose" one :grin: :lol:

Highly unlikely to find commissioning pennant, Ensign or Jack in the flag locker - usually it only contains signalling flags/pennants; you'll need to speak to one of the Comms dept to obtain the key to the V/S store to find what you're after.

general_jumbo.

Midshipman
thanks guys, but I only collect used flags, one's that have been at the masthead of one of hm's warships thats been on deployment, thus each tells a story,( plus anything I care to add) I just wondered about a new co claiming the old pennant as he took command, I've never heard of this tradition before
thanks dave

Latest Threads