Commissioned without going to AIB?

Anybody know anything about the WOWEAs and/or WOMEAs who got commissions without going to AIB? Faslane during the 90s I believe. Also believe that they were couldn't get promoted beyond LT.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not heard of ME/WE commissions without AIB. The only examples I can think of, and even then I could be wrong, are RM NCO Pilots from 3 Cdo Brigade Air Squadron and possibly certain CPO/WO Med Techs to align them with their commissioned Army counterparts when the Medical Branch became tri service.

They were called TASLs (Temporary Acting Sub Lieutenants) and as the OP said, were promoted without AIB and existed only to fill a gap, being told they would never be promoted. Some however subsequently made full Lt.

I think they were in shortage engineering billets, definitely WE but possible ME too.

Their nickname at the time was 'Tassles' since they were seen as being mere appendages. I know of at least one real knob that was a Tassle - don't ask, but most submariners will know him.

They were called TASLs (Temporary Acting Sub Lieutenants) and as the OP said, were promoted without AIB and existed only to fill a gap, being told they would never be promoted. Some however subsequently made full Lt.

I think they were in shortage engineering billets, definitely WE but possible ME too.

Their nickname at the time was 'Tassles' since they were seen as being mere appendages. I know of at least one real knob that was a Tassle - don't ask, but most submariners will know him.

I recall an ME TASL who happily served in one unique seagoing post for several years. He was happy enough, although the system sort of "forgot" him. But one day, somebody remembered; he was made up from temporary to substantive sub lieutenant, and then promoted to full lieutenant in quick succession. It was financially quite rewarding for him!

Did any ever serve as DWEO on a boat?