Commissioned to royal marine (enlisted)

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by donnelly901, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone given up their commission from any of the 3 derives to enlist as a royal marine? If so, can you give any advice / experiences? Much appreciated.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I cant personally see many Ruperts, Nelsons or Biggles wanting to give up the good life to be a gravelbelly.

I have however seen many a gravelbelly who could have been one of the above. Perhaps they were scared off by the thought of being in a recruit troop with lots of other graduates?

3. I resigned my Commision in the Salvation Army, had to hand in my tamborine and everything.
    Well gutted.
    You've been ditting on about joining the RM/RMR for nearly 3 years now, why not pop down to the AFCO and get the gen from them? :roll:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quite often we witness individuals who are academically qualified for Officer, joining as Other Rank. One Recruit Troop of 55 had 17 graduates not so long back.

RM Officers who fail YO training are usually discharged rather than given the opportunity to revert to Other Rank.

I've yet to process a former trained (RAF?) Officer joining as a Royal Marine Other Rank, however we get tons & tons of applicants with former service with a separate arm of the service joining as a Royal Marine. Doubtless it may have happened, but very rarely.

Many guys like the idea of being a leader of men but don't always have the mental maturity to wait for the annual RM Officer intake or are not prepared take-on the responsibility of looking after their troops with regard the administration aspects, preferring to live out their time at the "sharp end" leading their men into battle, bayonets fixed, grenade pin 'twixt the clenched teeth.

Many officer aspirants wish to avoid the mundane tasks of sustaining paper-cuts in a desk-bound role whilst failing to appreciate that the early years "sharp-end" experience pays dividends later in their military career when they are much more useful helping control the "big picture" rather than fighting hand-to-hand, one-to-one.

The average Marine serves around 6 years - most of them are more than happy to let the young thrusters carry-out the "gung-ho" aspects of soldiering after they have two or three operational deployments.

5. If they have I reckon you would be rather hard pressed to find them at RR.

By the by - What a curious history:

donnelly901 <<Nov 2007…. I went down to AOSB (boo, hiss, I know) in June and failed….>>

donnelly901 <<Apr 2009….I've just joined the Crabs as an officer having had to leave rmr training for it. Basically came down to the fact that i needed a job asap….>>

12 Months on - Now showing interest in resigning an ink-not-dry-yet RAF Commission to join the RM as a Marine. :?: 8O

Anyway, Good Luck & Congratulations on having kept a full house of AFCOs gainfully employed/distracted :wink:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, what is termed in the AFCO as a "Serial Applicator" :wink:

The honourable gentleman is referred to an earlier post:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/posting/mode=quote/p=208925.html

7. I'd have thought that going from RAF Officer to Marine would be a promotion. :twisted:

Serial applicant? Waste of rations more like.
    He's only got the RN to go then he'd have the full set of AFCO time wasting stamps. :roll: