Commisioned officer swords

slim

War Hero
Sentenashi said:
slim said:
SUYAIB said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
There is absolutely no need to spend any money on buying your own sword or geting anyone to buy it for you. Every ship and establishment has smart "as new" pussers swords available to borrow on the VERY rare occasions you might need one. Nearly all the swords you see on parade at BRNC are borrowed this way.
CTFAIRWAY you are missing the point, no one has said there is a 'need' to buy a sword, as you rightly point out you can sign a sword out and a lot of officers do this. But equally there is a large amount of us who have brought a sword/had one brought for us as a sign of our progression - look on it as an 'advanced' version of having your hooks issued to you for the first time.

I suspect that I will only use my sword a couple of times in my career, that doesn't bother me, the fact that I am the first of 9 generations of Naval folk that has the right to own and carry a Naval officers sword is what is important to me. The ability to pass this on to my son or daughter, should they choose the RN as a career path would more than pay for it.
Fully agree with you GT2DS, my OH and Parents bought me mine. Family heirlooms must start somewhere!
So that's started then................... All you potential occifers start investigating who in your family can afford to pay for your sword. If you are lucky you may have more than one member and they can fight it out between them for who pays. :w00t:
I'm on it.

Don't bother, as an occifer steward the only time you get to carry a sword is from your occifers cabin to your grot. You then clean it and return it to your occifer :w00t:

Sentenashi

War Hero
slim said:
Sentenashi said:
slim said:
SUYAIB said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
There is absolutely no need to spend any money on buying your own sword or geting anyone to buy it for you. Every ship and establishment has smart "as new" pussers swords available to borrow on the VERY rare occasions you might need one. Nearly all the swords you see on parade at BRNC are borrowed this way.
CTFAIRWAY you are missing the point, no one has said there is a 'need' to buy a sword, as you rightly point out you can sign a sword out and a lot of officers do this. But equally there is a large amount of us who have brought a sword/had one brought for us as a sign of our progression - look on it as an 'advanced' version of having your hooks issued to you for the first time.

I suspect that I will only use my sword a couple of times in my career, that doesn't bother me, the fact that I am the first of 9 generations of Naval folk that has the right to own and carry a Naval officers sword is what is important to me. The ability to pass this on to my son or daughter, should they choose the RN as a career path would more than pay for it.
Fully agree with you GT2DS, my OH and Parents bought me mine. Family heirlooms must start somewhere!
So that's started then................... All you potential occifers start investigating who in your family can afford to pay for your sword. If you are lucky you may have more than one member and they can fight it out between them for who pays. :w00t:
I'm on it.

Don't bother, as an occifer steward the only time you get to carry a sword is from your occifers cabin to your grot. You then clean it and return it to your occifer :w00t:
Yeah I agree.

You do not need a Sword here at Dartmouth, you can draw one out when you need it, but don't break it as they are all Wilkinson Sword Originals you will get one hell of a bill through, as someone the other week did. However, I will probably be getting my own as well, to make the occassion of hopefully having successfully passed out of training at Dartmouth.

The Drillies at Dartmouth got fed up with the YOs getting screwed over for the cost of their swords, and so did a deal with WKC (been making Swords for the German Armed Forces for years), of Solingen in Germany, who purchased Wilkinson Sword's machinery. Which is where I shall probably be getting mine from.

scouse

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
You do not need a Sword here at Dartmouth, you can draw one out when you need it, but don't break it as they are all Wilkinson Sword Originals you will get one hell of a bill through, as someone the other week did. However, I will probably be getting my own as well, to make the occassion of hopefully having successfully passed out of training at Dartmouth.

The Drillies at Dartmouth got fed up with the YOs getting screwed over for the cost of their swords, and so did a deal with WKC (been making Swords for the German Armed Forces for years), of Solingen in Germany, who purchased Wilkinson Sword's machinery. Which is where I shall probably be getting mine from.
Have you managed to cut your nose P.O. whilst practicing the salute? :salut: :salut: :w00t: :thumright: ps Whats that mess number !!!

scouse said:
Have you managed to cut your nose P.O. whilst practicing the salute? :salut: :salut: :w00t: :thumright: ps Whats that mess number !!!
I think you have just worked out the reason for a peak on an Officer's cap! To stop young snotties slicing their noses off with a sword!

Sentenashi, BRNC is, as ever, a big bag of fun. If/When you get here get used to twice weekly, at the very least, 0555 outside the gym for Period Zeroes. Oh how fun they are! Also get used to Navy humour, its fantastic! But don't believe the brochure on BRNC! Nothing like it, and so I'm reliably informed by our very clever Upper Yardies, nothing like the fleet!

scouse

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
scouse said:
I think you have just worked out the reason for a peak on an Officer's cap! To stop young snotties slicing their noses off with a sword! :w00t: edit so be carefull when wearing your cap at an angle !! like David Beatty :w00t: SNOTTY :thumright:

SUYAIB

Badgeman
Yes I know I'm dragging up this thread after nearly 5 years but my question is on topic!

My question to the sword owners of RR:

What engraving do you have on your sword and how is it laid out?

Just wondering if it is entirely up to personal choice or is there an accepted "best practice"

Yes I know I'm dragging up this thread after nearly 5 years but my question is on topic!

My question to the sword owners of RR:

What engraving do you have on your sword and how is it laid out?

Just wondering if it is entirely up to personal choice or is there an accepted "best practice"
The best practice is 3 lines lengthways on the right side of the blade near the hand. All the swords have ornate blades but I don't see any reason why you couldn't contact the sword maker direct and ask for something different. Mine has my name, passing out date, and a motto I thought was cool when I was an 18 year old snotty!

My sword is a Pooley, a bit pricey but I was impressed by their service and the sword's quality.

ScotsCadet

Midshipman
Sorry to open up a dead thread.

I recently found out that a sword that was passed down through the family had been donated to BRNC and has been kept and preserved. I'm unsure whether or not I would be able to bring this sword back into the family, or if I would have to buy/use an issued one.

Latest Threads