Commisioned officer swords

fido

MIA
Yep, as a not so young officer, I bought my own when I knew that I had hacked Dartmouth. The full kit; sword, scabbard, belt, gilt and knot cost me the stupendous sum of £105.00 but I was somewhat surprised to learn that the three Australian officers on my course paid just £25.00 for theirs. Apparently, the RAN had bought a Chacon load from Gieves in the fifties and continued to sell them to their newly graduating officers at cost. Bloody Ozzies! Mine, however, continued to serve me very well for many years when we still had regular divisions and, old fool and ex Ganges Boy that I am, I'm still damn proud of it!

slim

War Hero
fido said:
Yep, as a not so young officer, I bought my own when I knew that I had hacked Dartmouth. The full kit; sword, scabbard, belt, gilt and knot cost me the stupendous sum of £105.00 but I was somewhat surprised to learn that the three Australian officers on my course paid just £25.00 for theirs. Apparently, the RAN had bought a Chacon load from Gieves in the fifties and continued to sell them to their newly graduating officers at cost. Bloody Ozzies! Mine, however, continued to serve me very well for many years when we still had regular divisions and, old fool and ex Ganges Boy that I am, I'm still damn proud of it!
Kinnel Fido, that was a shtload of beer coupons in dem days :thumright:

fido

MIA
slim said:
fido said:
You're right Slim - my pay as a CPO to Subbie went up by around 2 bob a day and I lost LSP, Badge Money and KUA! Still, in the long run, I have no regrets whatsover and would certainly recommend crossing the yardarm for any who have the ambition.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
fido said:
.... I have no regrets whatsover and would certainly recommend crossing the yardarm for any who have the ambition.
That sentiment is 100% endorsed - anyone eligible, despite their pre-conceived notions would be well advised to aspire to becoming an Officer at some point of their career, even if only in the final gasps.

Sadly my Grade V in CSE Woodwork (ignorance & little else) prevented me.

slim said:
fido said:
They still cost an inordinate ammount of beer vouchers which is why it is always better to get some one else to pay for it.

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
Sentenashi said:
At the passing out parades of BRNC, you see all of the newly commisioned officers holding swords. My question is; are those swords for the officers to keep, or are they just for show?
There is absolutely no need to spend any money on buying your own sword or geting anyone to buy it for you. Every ship and establishment has smart "as new" pussers swords available to borrow on the VERY rare occasions you might need one. Nearly all the swords you see on parade at BRNC are borrowed this way.

slim

War Hero
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
At the passing out parades of BRNC, you see all of the newly commisioned officers holding swords. My question is; are those swords for the officers to keep, or are they just for show?
There is absolutely no need to spend any money on buying your own sword or geting anyone to buy it for you. Every ship and establishment has smart "as new" pussers swords available to borrow on the VERY rare occasions you might need one. Nearly all the swords you see on parade at BRNC are borrowed this way.
Do they do Ipods as well?

slim said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
That's Raleigh Slim!

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
That's Raleigh Slim!
Thanks Maxi :thumright:
I really must be showing my age, remember in my day we only had Chrystal sets nd rado Luxemburg. :w00t:

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
That's Raleigh Slim!
Thanks Maxi :thumright:
I really must be showing my age, remember in my day we only had Chrystal sets nd rado Luxemburg. :w00t:
No problems, I am still trying to work out how many times I could get pissed in the Seven Stars in Dartmouth at 1964 prices of 11d a pint for rough cider for the price of my sword

ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
CTFAIRWAY you are missing the point, no one has said there is a 'need' to buy a sword, as you rightly point out you can sign a sword out and a lot of officers do this. But equally there is a large amount of us who have brought a sword/had one brought for us as a sign of our progression - look on it as an 'advanced' version of having your hooks issued to you for the first time.

I suspect that I will only use my sword a couple of times in my career, that doesn't bother me, the fact that I am the first of 9 generations of Naval folk that has the right to own and carry a Naval officers sword is what is important to me. The ability to pass this on to my son or daughter, should they choose the RN as a career path would more than pay for it.

slim

War Hero
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:
CTFAIRWAY you are missing the point, no one has said there is a 'need' to buy a sword, as you rightly point out you can sign a sword out and a lot of officers do this. But equally there is a large amount of us who have brought a sword/had one brought for us as a sign of our progression - look on it as an 'advanced' version of having your hooks issued to you for the first time.

I suspect that I will only use my sword a couple of times in my career, that doesn't bother me, the fact that I am the first of 9 generations of Naval folk that has the right to own and carry a Naval officers sword is what is important to me. The ability to pass this on to my son or daughter, should they choose the RN as a career path would more than pay for it.
Good thinking young sir. I'm sure that the generations of your family that served before you would be more than chuffed that you had escaped the lower deck :thumright:

scouse

War Hero
slim said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:

Good thinking young sir. I'm sure that the generations of your family that served before you would be more than chuffed that you had escaped the lower deck :thumright:
Lower deck and proud of it Slim :w00t:

slim

War Hero
scouse said:
slim said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:

Well Scouse I echo that remark, however nothing would please me more than my descendants serving as occifers.
After leaving I worked for a civie company which required me to carry out sea trials on naval vessels (both UK and foreign). This was an occifer status position and I was accommodated in the wardroom, there is no comparison between wardroom life and life as a senior rate. I did however do most of my drinking in the chiefs mess, :w00t: obviously reverting to type :w00t:
I always advise anyone who has the ablility to become an occifer to do so by the quickest possible route :thanks:

slim said:
I did however do most of my drinking in the chiefs mess, :w00t: obviously reverting to type :w00t:

I always advise anyone who has the ablility to become an occifer to do so by the quickest possible route :thanks:
I must admit the best mess for drinking and company was any of the senior rates messes, it was always a priviledge to be invited in for a drink.

The worst place without doubt is a crab officers mess.

As for becoming an officer I think that is an individual prefference, some people are good at their jobs but happier with different levels of responsibility, just like in my present work I know a number of very good innovative deelopment engineers but they are not cut out to run a programme, just as I could not do what they do.

scouse

War Hero
slim said:
scouse said:
slim said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:

Well Scouse I echo that remark, however nothing would please me more than my descendants serving as occifers.
After leaving I worked for a civie company which required me to carry out sea trials on naval vessels (both UK and foreign). This was an occifer status position and I was accommodated in the wardroom, there is no comparison between wardroom life and life as a senior rate. I did however do most of my drinking in the chiefs mess, :w00t: obviously reverting to type :w00t:
:w00t: Kinell Slim i never reached the dizzy heights of a Senior Rate :thumright: So 2 cans??? and me tot in the AED mess deck with 60 other lowerdeckers for us !!:thumright:

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:
Sentenashi said:

Fair point GTTDS - I just felt that the ready availablility of very respectable pussers swords was somehow being missed in the debate. For what its worth, I lost my sword to Neptune in 1982 but when the money came through for a replacement, I spent it on something else because the original had been a gift from my folks and a replacement would not have had the same meaning. Ever since then I used a pussers sword with no probs.

SUYAIB

Badgeman
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:

Fully agree with you GT2DS, my OH and Parents bought me mine. Family heirlooms must start somewhere!

slim

War Hero
SUYAIB said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:

Fully agree with you GT2DS, my OH and Parents bought me mine. Family heirlooms must start somewhere!
So that's started then................... All you potential occifers start investigating who in your family can afford to pay for your sword. If you are lucky you may have more than one member and they can fight it out between them for who pays. :w00t:

Sentenashi

War Hero
slim said:
SUYAIB said:
Gonetothedarkside said:
ctfairway said:

So that's started then................... All you potential occifers start investigating who in your family can afford to pay for your sword. If you are lucky you may have more than one member and they can fight it out between them for who pays. :w00t:
I'm on it.

Latest Threads