Commisioned officer swords

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sentenashi, Sep 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the passing out parades of BRNC, you see all of the newly commisioned officers holding swords. My question is; are those swords for the officers to keep, or are they just for show?
  2. Its tradition for officers on parade to carry swords on their right side. Army officers carry them as well for ceremonial duties. Not sure whether they do it in exactly the same way, though.
  3. Yeah, I know that, but once the officers pass out are they awarded those swords for them to keep, or do they have to turn them in after the end of the parade?
  4. Ceremonial swords are drawn from the armoury as you would draw a rifle.
  5. You can't give young officers swords to keep - They'd hurt themselves. Best only issued and used under supervision.
  6. oooohh.. damn, was hoping to keep mine after passing out.

bet you thinking the same Sentenashi. lol
  7. Haha, not really, i've got a hell of a long way to go yet.
  8. Thought you were going on 8th sept - 2moz?

(forgive spelling and grammar - rather drunk XD)
  9. Oh god no, I'm 15 and currently applying for a sixth form scholarship.

10. lol - fair enough m8 - Wish you best of luck with it all - did send you a PM, but no answer so I assumed the best.

Still, Hope it all works out for you.
  11. You can't just dish out swords willy nilly. YO's are dangerous enough with a chart and dividers.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It was fairly common for young Officers to purchase a sword in days of yore - it's not uncommon for the family to pass one down through the generations.

Those from more affluent backgrounds may have a sword bought to mark the event by their families and sometimes they may be awarded as a prize.

If you're thinking of buying your own- there's no need too as you can always borrow one on the very rare occasion you need one, they cost upwards of £1000 for a decent one.

Short of lopping the top off a Champagne bottle at a wedding, they serve little other functional use.
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

NS, you forget that boarding parties are now back in vogue!!
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, yes!

Why weren't they issued in the Gulf eh?
  15. Well i did send an answer, but I don't think it ever got through.
  16. Alright, thanks.

Can you buy them directly from the navy to ensure authenticity?
  17. Lol, d.w about it Sentenashi.

btw - its Ensure not Insure - insure is to insure a car or house - Ensure is to make sure it is authentic.
  18. Don't think you can buy them from the RN (I had trouble getting the right shirt at stores recently, dread to think what type of sword they'd sell me...)

Gieves and Hawkes military section can supply swords, along with a small number of other places including Sussex Swords who have a number of ex Wilkinson workers on their staff.
  19. You're hardly in a position to teach English junior.
  20. What do you want a sword for anyway? Feckin' expensive letter opener.