Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ComMarRes (Keep R talk to here)

dubaipusser said:
Actually, I AM suprised that gthe hierarchy can't make decisions - one of the strengths of the Reserve Forces has always been the unique combination of civilian and military skills.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard comments in RN circles to the effect "if this was a business we wouldn't still be here" yet we have people in the RNR (in senior positions) who seem to throw away their commercial acumen when they put on a blue suit and just 'vegetate'.

And as far as CMR is concerned, I hear many a drip about 'last job staffers' but that doesn't mean that they are washed up and useless, in fact we have had some stars in the past and I am pretty sure there are some stars there now so why can't they take decisions and display the sort of management strengths that got them to the senior positions in the first place?

I wonder what sort of effect a dynamic, go ahead, decisive RNR management style would have on recruitment and retention?

Our old OiC made decisions, he made some bloody good one's too. Unlike some of the spineless yes men that wear gold on their shoulders today this guy would make decisions on what was best for the unit as well as individuals. Our unit would not be what it is today if it werent for him. And where is he now??? He left a couple of months ago. Those yes men didnt like the fact that when they slammed the door in his face he just went through the brick wall at the side of it.

If you say yes - you get on. If you say no - you get out, or should i say they get you out.

trehorn said:
dubaipusser said:
Actually, I AM suprised that gthe hierarchy can't make decisions - one of the strengths of the Reserve Forces has always been the unique combination of civilian and military skills.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard comments in RN circles to the effect "if this was a business we wouldn't still be here" yet we have people in the RNR (in senior positions) who seem to throw away their commercial acumen when they put on a blue suit and just 'vegetate'.

And as far as CMR is concerned, I hear many a drip about 'last job staffers' but that doesn't mean that they are washed up and useless, in fact we have had some stars in the past and I am pretty sure there are some stars there now so why can't they take decisions and display the sort of management strengths that got them to the senior positions in the first place?

I wonder what sort of effect a dynamic, go ahead, decisive RNR management style would have on recruitment and retention?

Our old OiC made decisions, he made some bloody good one's too. Unlike some of the spineless yes men that wear gold on their shoulders today this guy would make decisions on what was best for the unit as well as individuals. Our unit would not be what it is today if it werent for him. And where is he now??? He left a couple of months ago. Those yes men didnt like the fact that when they slammed the door in his face he just went through the brick wall at the side of it.

If you say yes - you get on. If you say no - you get out, or should i say they get you out.

Sadly when most Officers reach Cdr level, they are too preoccupied on keeping themeselves on the greasy pole, never mind climbing up it, to be inovative or even take risks. Self preservation takes precedence and the good of the service goes out the window.

Actually Dubaipusser has hit it on the head.

How many of the senior RNR staff in CMR actually have commercial jobs, they all work for local/national government, in some form or other (and if there is the odd one with a real job I am sorry to have included you!).

How many SO1 and above do you know, who work fulltime for a commercial PLC, rather than government? Who actually have to work their RNR commitments around a fulltime job and 5 weeks holiday?

The problem for me is that they are so detached from reality as to serve no useful purpose. If someone (god forbid) flatten CMR and all the SO1 - would anyone notice?!!!?

Manny said:
Actually Dubaipusser has hit it on the head.

How many of the senior RNR staff in CMR actually have commercial jobs, they all work for local/national government, in some form or other (and if there is the odd one with a real job I am sorry to have included you!). quote]

God forbid UK Plc starts running the armed forces. Those of us who remember the 80's saw enough of that style of management. The top gold would give themselves pay rises and perks beyond the means while Jack gets left further and further behind. Oh and by the way, we can take military action not if it is right to do so - only if it's commercially viable!

Latest Threads