Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ComMarRes (Keep R talk to here)

Jim30 said:
I'd suggest the total lack of information and leadership on this issue is just what I have come to expect from senior management. They can't handle things that really grip us, but still spend ages forcing us to make up PTP's, the greatest work of fiction since the bible!

Get some MTDs knocked back Jim?

Ages? They should hardly take that.

Just let me know:

a) Your branch requirements
b) Your ORT
c) In unit duties

And gimme say... 10 mins?

Monkey (R)

Latest word on the "R" is that it will go on daily working rig but will stay on ceremonial. Apparently its a badge of honour the same as wings, commando dagger, jump wings etc.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter one way or the other. What is more important is how long this issue has taken to resolve itself!

"Get some MTDs knocked back Jim?

Ages? They should hardly take that."

Sorry, should have made clear that frustration came from being an STO and doing PTP's for non attenders, for people that refused to answer emails/phone calls/letters and had gall to turn up and expect ORT and so on. Then to be ordered to "make up PTPs" in order to achieve 100% success rate, rather than asking why was upwards of 60% of the branch not there was in my view almost fradulent.

forever_a_subby said:
Latest word on the "R" is that it will go on daily working rig but will stay on ceremonial. Apparently its a badge of honour the same as wings, commando dagger, jump wings etc.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter one way or the other. What is more important is how long this issue has taken to resolve itself!

I'll believe it when I see it in writing.

Said it before and I will continue to say it. we must not follow the Crab's lead. If it goes, it goes completely. The option to keep it on the cuff due to cost of removing it is fine. Then one day it will have gone. Seem to recall being told that the wavy lace was "a badge of honour" too. Didn't save that. Shift target right,on the subject of Cadet Force Officers give them straight lace too, (with a C in the curl!)

PS Naval "Jump Wings" have gone.

Jim30 said:
"Get some MTDs knocked back Jim?

Ages? They should hardly take that."

Sorry, should have made clear that frustration came from being an STO and doing PTP's for non attenders, for people that refused to answer emails/phone calls/letters and had gall to turn up and expect ORT and so on. Then to be ordered to "make up PTPs" in order to achieve 100% success rate, rather than asking why was upwards of 60% of the branch not there was in my view almost fradulent.

Jim,
That is not "almost" fraudulent - that is TOTALLY fraudulent.
Possibly worth a thread on its own ?

Could well be - although to post examples may blow my cover, I think it should be highlighted as an example of the obsession the RNR has over PTP's to the detriment of reality!

Jim30 said:
Could well be - although to post examples may blow my cover, I think it should be highlighted as an example of the obsession the RNR has over PTP's to the detriment of reality!
And at the risk of dredging back into the 'good old days' and/or getting tarred as a jumped up little dictator, what was wrong with having Directed Training where Her Majesty (God Bless Her) said "you need to do XYZ this year - get on with it".

It is about time we all cottoned onto the fact that the RNR is a disciplined service where we do as we are told or get out, not a buffet facility where we pick and choose what we think we would like to do most (and then change our mind at the last minute when something better comes up)

Typical Pusser! Yes you are correct about being a disciplined sevice and I think your inference that any one may think otherwise is verging on slander.The Maritime Reserves are ultimately here to train to fight and then fight, as part of the RN. (Or such less Warlike Activity that Their Lordships shall from time to time decide.) It is not a table top paper exercise. The role of RTCs is to provide trained personnel not nice paperwork. PTPs should be a guide and as with all military endevours,flexible. How can we be expected to plan our entire training year including week ends before that year starts and then stick to it with out the benifit of a realy good quality crystal ball? Mobilisation may happen with only a few days notice. "Sorry, I am not going to the Sand Pit next week, it's not on my PTP." Do not judge a dish by the recipe on the cookery book page, judge it by the eating.

Deckhead_Inspector said:
Typical Pusser! Yes you are correct about being a disciplined sevice and I think your inference that any one may think otherwise is verging on slander.The Maritime Reserves are ultimately here to train to fight and then fight, as part of the RN. (Or such less Warlike Activity that Their Lordships shall from time to time decide.) It is not a table top paper exercise. The role of RTCs is to provide trained personnel not nice paperwork. PTPs should be a guide and as with all military endevours,flexible. How can we be expected to plan our entire training year including week ends before that year starts and then stick to it with out the benifit of a realy good quality crystal ball? Mobilisation may happen with only a few days notice. "Sorry, I am not going to the Sand Pit next week, it's not on my PTP." Do not judge a dish by the recipe on the cookery book page, judge it by the eating.
Whoa, whoa, whoa - get back in your box - and speaking of not judging books by covers - I am not a Pusser (large P) and I suspect you are not an Inspector (large I)!

1. The Maritime Reserves do exist to fight - correct! And the RN knows what it needs its' Reserves to do (or at least they should do). The RNR also knows what qualifications Reservists need to have to climb the greasy pole onto the Trained Strength and, in what order those qualifications should be obtained for best effect. Consequently, since BR60 provides the route map, PTPs or Directed Training or whatever should provide the waypoints. My argument is that there is often too much personal flexibility and the essential, but possibly less attractive, components of training should be directed not left up to individuals to 'elect for'.
2. The essential bits of training for which you have to 'plan your entire year' are generally mapped out as courses or exercises a long time in advance and can be built into someone's calendar - I do it and I know many others who follow the same process. Weekends are an entirely different thing and are not a part of my argument for directed training (except perhaps for things like ESR).
3. My comments about the disciplined service have, I regret to say, been borne out on too many occasions when people have signed up for training and then thought better of it when a more attractive offer has come up (not always RNR training related - ie weddings etc (how many weddings happen without a reasonable bit of notice?) This has often resulted in courses being cancelled at the last minute as a consequence - the POLC used to be a particularly good example with several of my keen LHs and POs being bounced through no fault of their own - (experience therefore of judging by the eating not by the recipe!!!)
4. Where does Mobilisation come into this???? It has absolutely nothing to do with planning PTPs or being directed to undertake training to make you 'fit for purpose'.

Deckhead_Inspector said:
Said it before and I will continue to say it. we must not follow the Crab's lead. If it goes, it goes completely. The option to keep it on the cuff due to cost of removing it is fine. Then one day it will have gone. Seem to recall being told that the wavy lace was "a badge of honour" too. Didn't save that. Shift target right,on the subject of Cadet Force Officers give them straight lace too, (with a C in the curl!)

PS Naval "Jump Wings" have gone.

Agree with this one totally - and just to add a bit more to the idea of Cadet Officers with a 'C' in the curl - we increasingly see that the only dark blue suits turning out in force at Remembrance parades etc are Cadets and therefore are the 'RN's representatives. Not a bad idea to make their officers look more like the RN - the rest of the SCC does after all

dubaipusser said:
Jim30 said:
And at the risk of dredging back into the 'good old days' and/or getting tarred as a jumped up little dictator, what was wrong with having Directed Training where Her Majesty (God Bless Her) said "you need to do XYZ this year - get on with it".

It is about time we all cottoned onto the fact that the RNR is a disciplined service where we do as we are told or get out, not a buffet facility where we pick and choose what we think we would like to do most (and then change our mind at the last minute when something better comes up)

Directed training is rolling out in at least 1 branch I know of - it's already a reality for Officers and soon will be for SRs and JRs. part of it is to prevent the same old people going off on the far flung exercises, and to make sure people are getting the required training in line with their roster (and that'll give away the branch in question for those in the know).

As for PTPs, they are meant to be a dynamic document and change during the course of the year as circumstances change. One of the good things they do is highlight anyone who'se trying to pull a fast one with a bounty waiver!

I have no particular objection to Directed Training. The problem with PTP's is people have a vague idea of what they want to do, but can't get the leave or plans change.

If we are to do directed training then have a number of weeks running the course each year - say 3 alternatives. Tell AB/SLT XYZ that they are to do the course, but as a caring sharing organisation we'll let them pick a week.

Apparently they now isue RNR and RN tabs at Raleigh?? either that or my little mate is just trying to avoid wearing the RNR ones. the new ID cards do say Royal Navy on them too.

Latest Threads