Commando Training School

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
This last week, all I've done is interview potential Royal Marines. The numbers of applicants has gone through the roof!

One thing that is interesting is every one of them, when asked, said they were inspired by the programme, but felt the training aspect was far more demanding than portrayed.

It seems they are getting the message.

Pontius

War Hero
On last Monday's episode one of the recruits had a tat on the back of his hand, is this now allowed when joining up?

I have to admit I'm really quite disappointed in the appearance of some of the Booties in this programme. I've always had the impression that of all the services the Royals were the best turned out but the standards really seemed to have dropped. The tats seem to be really over the top and covering a whole arm, to me, seems excessive. What ever happened to a gash tat at the top of the arm or shoulder blade? As for the bloody berets, both green and black. FFS one corporal looked like he had a green flat cap on and decided to decorate with a fancy, above-left ear decoration and a couple of the captains weren't any better. I don't know whether to let my Old Man see this lest he damage their TV when he starts hurling rolled up copies of the Globe & Laurel at it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Royals are permitted tatts on the hands as they wear gloves with Blues.

As regard 'flat-cap' berets, fully agree, it's a trait seemingly copied from the Army Air Assault Brigade ...

a720e47f.jpg

IrishGuard

Midshipman
I am retired Australian military after having spent over 30 years in uniform.

I have followed the series with interest and have some minor questions.

I noted that the recruits had to supply their own ironing boards, this became apparent when a recruit who had been discharged was catching the departing train and was carrying his ironing board as part of his personal luggage.

In the Australian Defence Forces, on base/camp single living quarters are provided with laundry room facilities which include drying rooms complete with built in ironing boards; is that not the case with the British Forces?

I also watched a Corporal demonstrate how to iron bed sheets, do the recruits have to launder their bed sheets? In the ADF laundered sheets are provided as part of a weekly sheet change.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
They don't need to buy their own ironing boards as there are fixed facilities much the same as the ADF but very often people decide to buy their own, as advised by their DL as there aren't always 55 available simultaneously. If they leave, they take it home.

When I joined the RN we hand-washed & ironed our own sheets, but RM recruits are now issued duvet covers and sheets and the recruits machine-wash & iron them during phase one. After phase one their DL may allow recruits to send them to the laundry. Many recruits choose to wash & iron their own bedding throughout Recruit Training.

Royal Marines even have to fluff their own pillows.

Latest Threads