Commando Speed March Spean Bridge

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by finknottle, Mar 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This test of endurance took place today, our lad who is no spring chicken came in with 4 mins to spare, his comment, 'I am happy with that'.

The origins of the Spean Bridge Commando Speed March can be dated back to 1940, then however, this test was the first hurdle for would-be volunteers for Commando Training at Achnacarry House (Castle Commando) having just transited by rail for fourteen hours.

On arrival at Spean Bridge Station, the prospective Commandos would load kit bags onto a waiting truck and, under the lead of the staff, would then under take the 6.9 miles at the double, carrying battle order and rifle (weight 36lbs) to the grounds of Achnacarry House.
  2. Re: Spean Bridge Speed March

Who is it run by now? I was warned off it as the guy who used to run it was outed as a walt,he even has his own entry on arrsepedia. Would love to do it again next year,have missed the last two.
  3. Re: Spean Bridge Speed March

Good question and one that I do not know the answer to.

4. I did this Speed March in 2006. Does anyone know if its still being held? Or has the Walt organiser torpedoed the event?