Commando Life...

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Yomper_Stomper, Dec 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happy festive season to you all :party: :sleepy:

I have been lurking for a while and decided it was time to join. Having read some of the, how shall I put it, “Interesting,†questions on here I will strive not to ask the same. What I was wondering is, how far do I have to yomp to become a mad paddler? :roll:

Just kidding. :lol:

I was hoping for a little insight into life in a Commando unit, i.e. when not on Ops.

I am at college now and trying to decide between matriculating University and enlisting Royal. I have read all the official ‘propaganda;’ but was hoping for an accurate insight from someone who has actually lived it, as opposed to someone who wants to recruit me…

Cheers for any help
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Every meal a banquet every pay check a fortune.........

It used to go something like this..

7 a.m Tea in bed
    7.30 a.m bimble down to the galley for scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
    8a.m Turn to for a chat with the troop stripey (officers used to be a bit thin on the ground back then)
    8.30 10.30 am am 6 miler followed by a game of footy
    10.31 a.m ciggy break
    11 am pie and tea in the naafi
    11.30 horizontal PT in the grot
    12 - 1.30 lunch
    1.30 p.m nieghbours
    2.00 turn to for chat with stripy
    2.30 make n mend down the pub.

and so the days continued.....
  3. Jeez you had it rough, real Commandos in them days. :thumright:
    At the moment it's Ops, leave, training for Ops, a smally jolly somewhere and then back on Ops. Much respect to all current serving Royals.
  4. wet_blobby

Tough.....back in the day mate, wow even the terrorists all had the same confusing name.."spud"

Much respect to the serving lads, it's all a touch more hectic now.
  5. wet_blobby

Germany??? I thought we were banned.
  6. Cheers, In My Day, bit of an oversight from me there… :oops: , will have a good read.

Fantastic link, BillyNoMates, will spend a while having a good read and digest of that, cheers.

NZ Bootneck and Wet Blobby; cheers for your replies. You have probably been asked this a million times, so I might as well make it a million and one ;P , if you could do it all over again would you walk through the doors of the AFCO, or walk on by?
  7. Walk through the doors.....without a moments hesitation.
  8. Walk in, sign up and enjoy (most of), it all over again without a moments hesitation. All though I wouldn't blindly accept the Carreer guys line "You could be a Helicopter pilot in a few years, son." God, I was green!
  9. wet_blobby

I'd join up again but next time I'd be a wren, a big juicy lesbian one.
  10. Thanks for your responses guys, just what I was hoping to hear.

As interesting as the whole sniper thingy sounds, I think I best spend a few years cutting my teeth on GD’s before I even think about anything like that. Fascinating read though, cheers.

Big; juicy; lesbian WREN, eh? Is there any other kind :thumright: