Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commando Helicopter Force

She wants to be a pilot; @Blake29 - have you tried using the search function, plus I'm pretty sure there are generic threads on joining as an Officer and the process, including some of your training.

Blake29

Midshipman
@alfred_the_great i have had a quick skim through the searches but cannot seem to find anything on this, perhaps i have posted in the wrong area? New to the site so trying to get the hang of it!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Blake29 because you are from Weymouth and that's enough handicap for anyone .... try typing Helicopter Pilot in the search box. You can ask to be a Junglie but that doesn't mean that that is what you will get. Good luck

Surly going to the AFCO and later the AIB and saying you want to fly junglies does not show ambition. I suspect the RN is looking for people who's ultimate goal is to be the best and fly JSF, if you don't make the grade then helicopters are next. I'm not undermining the role of Helicopter pilots by the way.

We had an AEM on 899 who wanted to transfer to the crabs to fly Hercs. He was told under no circumstances that he should mention this and his ultimate goal is to fly Typhoon. He became an ops officer in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammydodger

Midshipman
Blake29,

I think you should read up about the service so you have an understanding of what a WAFU does.

The reason I'm saying this is the pipeline for the CHF is a sub section of the holistic pipeline for a pilot.
Eg. After you do your warfare modules and proceed to WAFU top secret Topgun camp where you branch out into your specialties depending on demand/grade from EFT = RW/FW - then go into your OCU.

CHF, is a RW specialty that is now making a transition from Seaking Mk4 to the old crab Merlin. So the CHF pipeline has changed, the Seaking OCU stopped in 2012? ( not too sure) Now trainee CHF pilots go Benson.

However for your sift/AIB I take it you'll be asked about the holistic pipeline of a pilot, not just the CHF one. Eg. For FW, Grading, EFT, Linton, Valley - T1/T2, Goshawk/Harrier/Typhoon depending on demand/space.

So, as you can see, I'm a bit confused about what you're asking. From your question it sounds like you're wanting the modules of the Benson pipeline?

Blake29

Midshipman
Blake29,

I think you should read up about the service so you have an understanding of what a WAFU does.

The reason I'm saying this is the pipeline for the CHF is a sub section of the holistic pipeline for a pilot.
Eg. After you do your warfare modules and proceed to WAFU top secret Topgun camp where you branch out into your specialties depending on demand/grade from EFT = RW/FW - then go into your OCU.

CHF, is a RW specialty that is now making a transition from Seaking Mk4 to the old crab Merlin. So the CHF pipeline has changed, the Seaking OCU stopped in 2012? ( not too sure) Now trainee CHF pilots go Benson.

However for your sift/AIB I take it you'll be asked about the holistic pipeline of a pilot, not just the CHF one. Eg. For FW, Grading, EFT, Linton, Valley - T1/T2, Goshawk/Harrier/Typhoon depending on demand/space.

So, as you can see, I'm a bit confused about what you're asking. From your question it sounds like you're wanting the modules of the Benson pipeline?

Thankyou for your info, and apologies that i was not very clear

I am pretty set that i would like to e part of the RW branch, as i want to be part of the roles they undertake (RM ferrying, counter-piracy, aid etc)

I have spent some time at yeovilton visiting most the units and they really sold it to me, and believe i would be most useful there as there are not many FW NAS (although it would be good to have a go on the new F-35s)

One question ive seen asked is about the training pipeline for your branch, so am unsure how much detail i need to go into, wether i need to know sqn or just general RW pipeline, but any info is useful

Jammydodger

Midshipman
Blake29,

You don't generally get a say on whether you go FW/RW. It's calculated on how well you have improved and performed during EFT ( maybe even Grading too) and the demand/space there is within the service.

To simply say you don't want to go FW means you're closing the opportunity for 50% of the pipeline, the exact 50% where the RN wants to expand, does that make you sound like a good investment? And you don't simply 'have a go' on the new F35s, it's years of stress and training through a mind-numbing amount of hurdles before you can get into the cockpit and turn one on..

I think you're being too fixated on being aircrew and their 'main role', you need to look at the bigger picture. Pilot/Observers are Officers who just happen to fly, where will they be when they gain promotion, what positions are they looking towards when they leave the flying role, what's about to come into service, what modules do they take in their pipeline to will aid their future prospects.

I was told this, If you want a career as a career Lieutenant and flying for your lifetime...go join the RAF. The RN is looking to expand.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure that "50%" is quite true. There will always be many more helicopter pilots than fast jets pilots in the RN, simply because of the way the Fleets work out. Cdo Merlin, ASW Merlin, ASaCs Merlin and Wildcat will significantly out-number F-35, at a ratio of at least 6:1, not including that some of those airframes are double piloted, so you could go as high as 10:1.

I know some F/A-18/GR9 pilots, and it is simple: if you have the natural aptitude for F-35 you will be selected. There is very very little you can do to improve your chances, some people have the skills required, the great majority don't. Saying you want to go helicopter pilot in the RN will not close any doors, nor will it have an adverse effect on your career.

If you want to stay frontline, yes, life in the RAF is probably much cushtier, however I have worked with a 52 year old pilot who has never left aviation related appointments (note, not necessarily flying) in his 31 year long career. There is now a defined career path for those who wish to remain in aviation to at least 1*, and possibly to 2* if you are very good.

Jammydodger

Midshipman
ATG,
I agree that 50% isn't the true number, it was merely a reference towards the split in the pipeline.
I was always under the impression there was always some sort of defined career path where the individual would be around aviation to a senior level eg. OiC of Simulators, upgrades, Wings of a base/carrier, Flight commander, MOD etc Unless I totally got the wrong end of the stick o_O

There was, for a while, little chance of a thrusting WAFU to stay a WAFU without having to do fish head time. By the last couple of promotion signals to Cdr that premise seems to have gone away.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The Commando Helicopter Force Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C Commando helicopter force The Fleet Air Arm 9
C Commando Helicopter Force The Fleet Air Arm 49
redmonkey My life with Commando Helicopter Force Diamond Lil's 11
R Commando helicopter force The Corps 3
U Commando Helicopter Force get to grips with new gun Current Affairs 2
H Commando Helicopter Force (CHF) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
theymademedoit Commando Helicopter Force Motto's!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Wells Journal: "Praise For Commando Helicopter Operations" The Corps 0
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: Green Dagger - A Film By 40 Commando Royal Marines The Corps 0
soleil Plymouth Live: "Watch Royal Marines Lead Commando Group Go Wild In The Jungle" The Corps 3
S All Arms Commando Course, Writer Branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
M Royal Navy Commando Dinner Social & Reunions 4
Z FAA COMMANDO CREWMAN HELP... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M 148 Battery Commando UPO 15
M Wearing commando flashes. The Quarterdeck 36
A 40 Commando RM / Welsh Guards ..For the record..... The Corps 16
soleil RMC Scotland: Royal Marines Commando Dinner - Glasgow - 13 June 2018 The Corps 5
B X Commando Social & Reunions 5
R commando to officer Joining the Royal Navy 3
Hanzzimmer Royal Navy Commando? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P What happened when Superman took on the Commando Challenge Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister visits 40 Commando Royal Marines MoD News 0
D All arms commando course. UPO/Careers Office 105
dapperdunn The Commando who refused to die Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
R 3 Commando Brigade help The Corps 9
S Commando Training School The Corps 80
A Royal Marines Commando School The Corps 11
Seaweed 48(RM) Commando The Corps 1
matt93 Commando Reurn to the front line Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
dapperdunn Commando: Return to the front line Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil Commando Aviation Heritage Dinner In Aid Of The FNHT - 23rd June 2014 The Fleet Air Arm 0
H some thing about Royal Navy Commando The Gash Barge 83
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition FALKLANDS COMMANDO by Hugh McManners Competitions 17
soleil Herald: "Search For Photos Of RM Captain Who Died In Commando Display Accident" The Corps 0
J All Arms Commando Course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Telegraph: "Go Commando Charity Calendar" The Corps 12
T 40 Commando trains in California The Corps 15
F Standing Task Commando Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ageing_Gracefully Commando: Winning WW2 Behind Enemy Lines Competitions 4
S Commando Spirit Charity Appeal The Corps 1
soleil Union J 'Go Commando' To Support Poppy Picnics Charity 9
E Commando dagger The Corps 3
T RN/Commando Aircrew Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
T 40 Commando Royal Marines welcome home parade details The Corps 2
Ninja_Stoker Potential Royal Marines Commando - PRMC Forum Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
soleil "Helmand - Diaries Of Front Line Soldiers" - 40 Commando The Corps 1
MoD_RSS News story: Commando medics ready for contingency operations MoD News 0
soleil Navy News: "Commando Medics Ready to Join RM Around The World After Gory 2 Week Ex" The Corps 0