Commando helicopter force

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Cwa580, Mar 20, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am interested in the role of an aircrewman for the CHF and was wondering do I need to be a royal marine first or can I go straight to aircrew in the CHF.
    Thanks.

2. Commando Aircrewman are RM and RN.

3. CHF is amusing. Flown by the navy but funded by the army.

Fun fact.

4. Perhaps not for much longer.

Regards,
    MM

5. Do I detect some RAF mission creep :oops:

6. Sigh!

No, you detect general agreement between the RN and RAF that JHC has not exactly worked and a desire by CGS to offload these new fangled and expensive flying machines from his TLB.

Regards,
    MM

7. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Most the engineers on 28 & 78 sqn were happy to offload them to us so why not the budget holders

Edit as MM pointed out my errors on sqdns.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. I think you mean 28 and 78 Sqns. Tbh, the RAF never wanted Merlin which is far better suited to the CHF role; we just wanted more Chinooks.

Regards,
    MM

• Like Like x 1
  9. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

@Magic_Mushroom

My mistake. You are correct. It is a little while since I was on those sqdns and I have been to sleep since then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I can't speak for now. As direct entry aircrewman, (RN), has been introduced as has RM serving on Naval Air Squadrons. (Since my day).
    It was always the case that new aircrewman initiates would be streamed ASW. Rarely would newly awarded wings serve on anything other than ASW squadrons.
    However, times have changed and the service requirements along with it.
    Good luck, its a long road and needs total focus to get to grips with all the new systems and procedures. Not forgetting the dreaded medical!!!!