Commando Comics

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I did enjoy Kapfgruppe Falken from Warlord though, as it was one of the few that showed and non allied storyline. They did fight against the beatly Soviets who I think went Urgh when they got shot and were always as hairy as they were sinister, something like some of the posters on Rumration.

Sol,
From what I remember he was a RM Commando who was either working with or had come across a group of US Marines. You knew it was him as he had a Union Flag painted on the front of his helmet whereas the Americans had their own. UJJ was always in the thick of it.......Maybe we could use him for recruiting purposes.
Simpler times.We're too PC for all that now.

I did enjoy Kapfgruppe Falken from Warlord though, as it was one of the few that showed and non allied storyline. They did fight against the beatly Soviets who I think went Urgh when they got shot and were always as hairy as they were sinister, something like some of the posters on Rumration.
:slow: I'll have you know that I deeply resemble that remark.:-|

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I also recall Tough of the Track, about the adventures of Alf Tupper who seemed to get into a bunch of scrapes through his involvement in amateur athletics. He always seemed to be eating fish suppers, running, welding or dispatching adversaries with a right hook. Now that is a real model for how to live one's life, I have to date only mastered the fish supper bit.

Me and my brother use to love these as lads.

We were so dirt poor that we couldn't afford them every week. We thought we had hit the jackpot when we found a used bookshop at Partick cross which sold old copies for pennies. I seem to recall a copy where they had a pet mongoose which had a taste for cobra's.
The Swamp Rat? In The Hornet?

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sol,
From what I remember he was a RM Commando who was either working with or had come across a group of US Marines. You knew it was him as he had a Union Flag painted on the front of his helmet whereas the Americans had their own. UJJ was always in the thick of it.......Maybe we could use him for recruiting purposes.
Simpler times.We're too PC for all that now.
UJJ was on a ship that was torpedoed and escaped on a life boat. He survived with others and made land. On landing, he joined up with the USMC and made two buddies (Sgt Lonnigan and Sean O'Bannion) and the three of them won the war in the pacific on their own. What happened to the other survivors is a mystery.

The noise the japs made in Commando/Warlord when killed was "Aiiieeeeeee" and had great phrases like "By Shinto", "For the Emperor" and "Banzaiiiiiiiiii".

I was and still am a big fan of both comics. Mind you, Lord Peter Flint was modelled on me.

The Commando comics used to have a back page with what is new in the armed forces Stalwart,F111 etc alongside Alf Tupper Commando was a fave of mine when I was a schoolkid.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
One of my bezzie oppo's who is the head combat Doris in Herrick as I type, came around ours before he left and gave my two lads (8 & 10) 15-20, warlord annuals going back to the early 70s. Some I definately remember reading myself. I was really against this as they 'were' in top condition but he was adamant the two boys should have them and get enjoyment from them. I have to say all three of us boys have done exactly that :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DozyBint Current Affairs 0
I The Corps 0
andym The Corps 11