Commando Comics

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by jockpopeye, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

50 years old!

BBC News - War comic Commando marks 50 years

Read too much of this sort of thing when I was younger, they are generally regarded as non pc today but I say that sounds like a lot of immigrant spazzy gay talk.

My favourite aspect was the crazy noises that the bad guys emitted when they bought it, the Japs always went Aiiieeeee!
  2. The germans always went AAARRRRRRGGGHH

and said Gott in Himmel a lot
  3. jockpopeye

I did enjoy Kapfgruppe Falken from Warlord though, as it was one of the few that showed and non allied storyline. They did fight against the beatly Soviets who I think went Urgh when they got shot and were always as hairy as they were sinister, something like some of the posters on Rumration.
  4. The translation to English of G in H is... Fuckin shave off
  5. Sixpenny Bloods we used to call them. I used to like Union Jack Jackson in Warlord. He always saved the day.
  6. What was Union Jack Jackson's special appeal, tbs?
  7. Sol,
    From what I remember he was a RM Commando who was either working with or had come across a group of US Marines. You knew it was him as he had a Union Flag painted on the front of his helmet whereas the Americans had their own. UJJ was always in the thick of it.......Maybe we could use him for recruiting purposes.
    Simpler times.We're too PC for all that now.
  8. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Classic. .....
  10. :slow: I'll have you know that I deeply resemble that remark.:-|
  11. I learnt all my German from Commando books. "Achtung schweinhund", "Gott in Himmel" "Nein nein Englander" etc etc
  12. jockpopeye

I also recall Tough of the Track, about the adventures of Alf Tupper who seemed to get into a bunch of scrapes through his involvement in amateur athletics. He always seemed to be eating fish suppers, running, welding or dispatching adversaries with a right hook. Now that is a real model for how to live one's life, I have to date only mastered the fish supper bit.
  13. Seem to remember he went blind but carried on with his athletics with a 'buddy'
  14. Alf Tupper - Original Stories
  15. The Swamp Rat? In The Hornet?
  16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

UJJ was on a ship that was torpedoed and escaped on a life boat. He survived with others and made land. On landing, he joined up with the USMC and made two buddies (Sgt Lonnigan and Sean O'Bannion) and the three of them won the war in the pacific on their own. What happened to the other survivors is a mystery.

The noise the japs made in Commando/Warlord when killed was "Aiiieeeeeee" and had great phrases like "By Shinto", "For the Emperor" and "Banzaiiiiiiiiii".

I was and still am a big fan of both comics. Mind you, Lord Peter Flint was modelled on me.
  17. The Commando comics used to have a back page with what is new in the armed forces Stalwart,F111 etc alongside Alf Tupper Commando was a fave of mine when I was a schoolkid.
  18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

One of my bezzie oppo's who is the head combat Doris in Herrick as I type, came around ours before he left and gave my two lads (8 & 10) 15-20, warlord annuals going back to the early 70s. Some I definately remember reading myself. I was really against this as they 'were' in top condition but he was adamant the two boys should have them and get enjoyment from them. I have to say all three of us boys have done exactly that :)
  19. And let's not forget 'Donner und blitzen' (no, not 2 of Santa's reinder!) and 'Handes hoche' and 'Rauss, rauss' - never did find out what that one meant!