commando aircrewman

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
According to my resident sniper, a GPMG tends to be a bit more 'pray & spray'. "For precision marksmanship a more accurate weapon & operator is used". His words, not mine.

timex

Lantern Swinger
The guy firing the GPMG is one of two things, he's either a member of the Sqn having a famil shoot or the Sqn HWI showing how its done, we had major problems convincing the Naval HWI's that you couldn't be qualfied to fire or run a shoot if you weren't qualified on that weapon. Also to be the A/C Commander you have to be in date APWT to command the guy doing the firing.

Things may have changed since 04 though.

tentoes

War Hero
You want owt from the Naafi Wrecks?

You get the Hobnobs and I'll man the Wets boat.
Sqn HW1? thats one I've not heard of.

I'm out now did just short of my 22 before they MD'd me, going to next years RMA reunion and the HW one.

Being former HW and being dense did you get out in 04 or 96? "I left in 04/1996" Doh you mean April 1996? May I be excused to go and shite out whats left of what I claim to be a brain?

Waspie

War Hero
Tentoes, HWI = Helicopter Warfare Instructor. Usually a pilot who has rolled his sleeves up and is prepared to have a fight!!!!!

tentoes

War Hero
Tentoes, HWI = Helicopter Warfare Instructor. Usually a pilot who has rolled his sleeves up and is prepared to have a fight!!!!!

Ah ok, so Instructors for using Helicopters in Warfare then as opposed to Weapons Instructors for Helicopter mounted weapons.

tentoes

War Hero
Yup, he covers weapons, GPMG to Sea Skua, tactics and the like.

In that case why would this be the case;
we had major problems convincing the Naval HWI's that you couldn't be qualfied to fire or run a shoot if you weren't qualified on that weapon. Also to be the A/C Commander you have to be in date APWT to command the guy doing the firing.

I'm Confused, do they not have to maintain weapons training/handling, range qualifying courses etc?

Mind you I did have a schooly as the Duty Officer at 40, who came back to the guardroom about an hour after drawing the 9mm asking if he could have some more Ammo. Apparently he had "opened" the 30m range to crack a quick Zero shoot.

Rigsby

Lantern Swinger
Mind you I did have a schooly as the Duty Officer at 40, who came back to the guardroom about an hour after drawing the 9mm asking if he could have some more Ammo. Apparently he had "opened" the 30m range to crack a quick Zero shoot.

Superb effort - should have made for a good read in the incident log :)