Command Estimate Process - Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by broadside, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used to have a neat little ID-card sized crib to the Command Estimate Process in my wallet that I got from HMS DRYAD (RIP) but time and too much sitting on it has rendered it useless. I want to try to introduce a little bit of discipline into the thought processes and the project timings in my new civvie job and want to start with what I learned on the MWARC - is there an on-line source for (at the very least) the crib sheet?

2. That'll be a "no" then!

3. Command Estimate Process - Can anyone help?
    I used to have a neat little ID-card sized crib to the Command Estimate Process in my wallet that I got from HMS DRYAD (RIP) but time and too much sitting on it has rendered it useless. I want to try to introduce a little bit of discipline into the thought processes and the project timings in my new civvie job and want to start with what I learned on the MWARC - is there an on-line source for (at the very least) the crib sheet?​

4. Patience is a virtue, Broadside.

Wait and see, something will turn up.

5. use the force my padawan

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

We use the 7 q's now:Question 1 – “What is the enemy doing and why?”Question 2 – “What have I been told to do and why?”Question 3 – “What effects do I want to have on the enemy and what direction must I give to develop my plan?”Question 4 – “Where can I best accomplish each action/effect?”Question 5 – “What resources do I need to accomplish each action/effect?”Question 6 – “When and where do the actions take place in relation to each other?”Question 7 – “What control measures do I need to impose?”In broad terms, Questions 1 and 2 are concerned with the development of situationalawareness/understanding about the spatial configuration of the battlespace, and of missionobjectives. Question’s 4 to 7, in equally broad terms, can be subsumed under the heading'Course of Action Development'.* All cribbed from t'internet as my files are offline

7. W_D, thanks. The bit I was really interested in was the percentage of time to be allocated to each task element because I want to try to get the message across to some of my less enlightened colleagues that even when time is short if you organise it properly you can still make a plan. There are some who believe that anything more complicated than ordering sandwiches for a meeting requires at least a month in the planning cycle.

8. PRINCE2 methodology might be worth considering, if you can get someone at work to pay for your training, or that of another it would be a 'good to have'.

9. I will trawl through but I can already see some stuff that could be helpful in another context so VMT for the link.

10. I think it is PRINCE2 that is causing the stagnation - they are less than intuitive here and when faced with what looks like a very thick document and what they perceive to be a highly structured and linear process they allow the clock to run wild and mentally calculate the time required to arrange ducks in neat rows rather than looking at the underlying principles.

11. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have an updated version of the crib card. When I get back into the office I will see what I can find.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have a size 3 yellow steaming bat, is that any good?

13. wave_dodger

Thats odd, I did post from work but can't see it?

14. wave_dodger

Broadside I recall the gizzit you refer to, it was Action Centred Leadership focussed was it not? The way the estimate is done now I don't think they split the time up? The guru on this is on holiday, I can get more detail on Mon.

Prince2, APMP, MSP - all same difference, toolkits to pick and choose to use the right pieces at the right time, thing is so few people have really managed a project in the industry sense they can't use these correctly.

15. wave_dodger

You've posted this twice in two forums, thats why I was confused....Sol can you merge?

16. Threads merged.

17. from the 6 q estimate:20% understand the situation30% understand the problem10% formulate potential options30% develop and validate options10% evaluate optionsAfter all that....Make the ******* decision.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. no idea what's happening with the formatting, the carriage return doesn't seem to work.

19. Yes, sorry about that, I was "sectionally confused" and lobbed my first post into "Miscellaneous" before realising that it was actually a category for "Miscellaneous Jokes" - no wonder I didn't get much of a response (and certainly no laughs!!!)