Coming up to a Buoy

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Dit coming ..

Diving officer of Tiger (UY Lt) takes starboard whaler away to go and blow bubbles somewhere. On return, hoists boat. Next day one of my boat party hops into it to start cleaning, and the after fall immediately gives way, leaving after end of boat impaled on guardrail stanchion. Diving officer leaves ship under personal dark grey cloud.

Four years or so later London berths in Bermuda, same somewhat chimp-faced chap is on jetty, old ships, asks me up homers. He had arrived in Bermuda to go diving and found difficulty obtaining diving gases so set up importation which rapidly grew into import of all sorts of industrial gases. Up homers was large bungalow with huge lawn sweeping down to the ocean, wife and two kids, happy as Larry. He always was a lucky chap, drew the only royal straight flush I've ever encountered playing poker in Tiger's wardroom once.

Be warned: that's what can happen to you if you screw up on Robinson's disengaging gear.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
When Brocklesby was AUWE trials ship at Portland, we were mostly day running. Rupert Craven was Captain at the time, if the Chefs and Stewards displeased him at lunch time he would stop just outside of the Breakwater and pipe the seaboat away manned by the Chef's, Stewards and Stores people. It used to take them forever to reach Q2 berth and then it was clear lower deck to hoist the whaler inboard. (No leave until she was secure)

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
And every hair a piece of ginger string.

Brock, last of the Hunts, under Craven was 2nd F's canteen boat when I was at Portland in Highburton (50th MSS). Never heard that dit though. Brock's internal compartments had hunting-type signs on them and she used to serenade her way into harbour on a hunting horn.

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile bogey for coming to head and stern buoys in Grand Harbour in a big ship used to be eight minutes from passing the breakwater. When Beresford was FO2 Med flying his flag in Ramillies under Fisher, Beresford's Flag Captain made a hash of this and was told by Fisher to go round again ('Your flagship is to proceed to sea and come in again in a seamanlike manner'), a put down not forgotten.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
And every hair a piece of ginger string.

Brock, last of the Hunts, under Craven was 2nd F's canteen boat when I was at Portland in Highburton (50th MSS). Never heard that dit though. Brock's internal compartments had hunting-type signs on them and she used to serenade her way into harbour on a hunting horn.

He also used to wear his hunting pink jack for special occasions. Brock was also the only ship in the RN with a black upper deck, the crap that used to come out of the funnel had to be seen to be believed. She could still show most a clean pair of heels when allowed to travel at speed.

Wightsparker

War Hero
I did not have that much opportunity to know the intricacies of such seamanship evolutions, but I do recall ( like the OP as a cadet) ship's company being required to hoist a whaler back on board. I can also remember an incident with the Robinson's disengaging gear ( mentioned by Onions) when someone failed to mouse the pin; the boat was swiftly cleared of personnel apart from a hapless midshipman, who was instructed by the 1st Lt to "hold it with your fingers, boy!"
There was a wail of "It's slipping, sir!" followed by a bang, with 27 feet of seaboat plunging seawards, suspended by just one fall. The midshipman made a spectacular but ungracious entry to the English Channel, and was fortunately recovered unhurt. We were afterwards told that this illustrated precisely why personnel should never sit other than between the falls; to do otherwise risked being cut in two in the event of such an accident.

Apologies for quoting my own post, but a clearing out has unearthed some old pictures. This one shows the said whaler after the incident with the disengaging gear.........
It was HMS Torquay, by the way, July 1963. CO was the then Commander Peter Berger, who had been involved in the more well-known incident on the Yangtse as a midshipman in HMS Amethyst.
HMS Torquay seaboat accident1.jpg