Coming to an AFCO near you ....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Oct 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Army to pay civilian firm £1bn to recruit new soldiers - Telegraph

<< ...The Ministry of Defence has put out a tender for civilian human resources and recruitment companies to bid for the contract.

Under the Recruiting Partnering Project, the contractor will receive £1 billion over the next decade in order to recruit 7,500 officers and men every year.

Officials at Army Land Command in Wiltshire claim that the deal will save the Service £250 million overall over a decade by removing well-paid senior NCOs and officers from backroom work “inputting data into computers”... >>

And:

<< ...the RAF and Navy are making similar plans... >>

But don't tell Mario and Nina, please:-|

2. Is that the clock ticking for NS and SM :-D

3. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that ARRSE picked up on this earlier today. Their comments indicate how delighted they are ...Civvy firm to be paid £1bn to recruit soldiers? .. NOT!

Wrecker,

My guess is that NS and SM will be snatched up by RR as paid consultants to answer all of the burning questions that the civilianised AFCOs cannot handle.

At a rate of say £10.00 per answer it could become a nice little earner for them and RR ...:slow::-D:-D

4. Whats the betting it'l actually cost 3billion and be 4 years late?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It could well be, as we've yet to see a PFI introduced that actually costs less.

The Army aim to reduce recruiting costs to an average of £14K per recruit.

The RN/RM currently achieve an average of around £6.5K cost per recruit by re-employing servicemen & women to recruit without providing SSSA, X Factor pay, provision of medical cover, travel expenses, etc. They also cap our income by abating combined service pension & income to a level below that of the last day's pay on active service.

6. Nina,

Ahhhh - The massed violins are falling in and tuning up as we speak ... :wink:

More seriously, I would guess that 'our' figures total more favourably than the army: << ...About 17,000 recruits a year go through training but, on average, only 9,000 pass out as fully trained soldiers...>>

Do you have any comparable data on the RN/RM, please?

Bob

7. Ninja_Stoker

With regard the prospect of redundancy, the sentiments of financial instability are cordially reciprocated.

RN annual "training wastage" runs at around 12%, however the RN Recruiting Test & the selection process tends to filter out unsuitable candidates relatively early-on in the process. (eg: This week 14 tested, 7 outright fails, 3 fails for preferred trade, 4 passed).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Will this mean that we won't be able to send people between courses/on compassionate etc etc to lurk conveniently in a suitably located AFCO?

9. No more cushy numbers for the lame, weak and malingerers.

10. Ah ! Soon to be a civvy firm who pick the redundancies and say who goes and who stays ? ffs. Although thats been done before by the actions of those old gits like Jenkins years ago.

11. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair most of those loaned to AFCOs nowadays seem to be injured/maimed Royals, those pending MBOS, compassionate cases or occasionally those due a spot of harmony time after a deployment.

As they are all "grace & favour" loans, the AFCOs are usually grateful for the manpower, but obviously we don't really want those who have submitted notice, the disillusioned or the deceitful.

So far as I'm aware AFCOs will continue for the forseeable, but who knows...

12. Is this not the time for AFCOs to form their own company and bid for the contract? A sort of management buy-out?

After all, they're already the acknowledged experts, so there'd be a reduced need for a training budget within the bid.

13. Was this mentioned years ago, where the Job Centre was going to take recruitment over? I remember loads of strawberry mivvies looking round 899 Squadron, was told they were potentional recruiters (not recruits).

14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I remember the Job Centre initiative too. Hopefully someone got a CBE out of that one, before moving on after becoming a recruiting expert within a couple of years 'in post'.

In many cases we criticise the MoD for their reluctance to spend now to make long-term savings (spend to save), but in this case, if the article is accurately reported (har-de-har) they've excelled themselves this time by proposing to spend a Billion pounds to save £250 million (total) over ten years.

Let's hope 'Doctor' Fox makes it to the House of Lords after he's sacked, to carry on the good work, eh?

15. I may be having a blonde moment but I think that I recollect that someone mooted the idea of letting the Reed employment agency take over RN Recruiting a while ago.