coming clean about Big Brother

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by golden_rivet, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Time to fess up - I watch BB. Have done whenever I could since the start. I find the programme fascinating and horrible in turn. It is my opinion that what has recently happened is no worse than much of what happened in the past just this time it happened to someone who is beautiful and rich and more importantly famous in the country she comes from. Are we surprised that people of a white working class background express themselves in ways that shock ??? Of course not - I frequently read things on this website that strike me the same way.

That's all :neutral:
  2. I really cannot understand why anyone finds this stuff in any way entertaining. Perhaps I'm thick... or something...
  3. I'm shocked and stunned. Someone who admits to watching big brother. I switched it on to see what all the fuss was about, no way could it be described as watchable television. A stupid Geordie accent telling viewers where the inmates are, FFS you can see where they are. It was honestly the most boring thing that I have ever had the misfortune to view. Please can someone enlighten me to what the attraction of this type of program is. Having to see Chavs in the shopping centre is bad enough, but actually sitting in ones own home and deliberately tuning in to see them!
    No I am still of the opinion that to watch a [email protected] program like that requires no more than a single brain cell.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Golden Rivet, is reality (sic) television really Current Affairs? So what if it has been in the news? The first three replies tell you BB isn't held in high regard, the 'crisis' no such thing.

There is a thread in Lil's on the subject and another in the Quarterdeck. There is even another on CA which has merit in that it compares the media's attitude to the BB non story to the heroics of Royal in Afghanistan.
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I watched it once for about 30 seconds, a night vision camera focused on people sleeping! now Horizon is fascinating, The Blue Planet is fascinating, Panorama is sometimes fascinating, nearly everything on the Discovery channel is fascinating whereas BB is just crap. If you honestly think BB is fascinating then you must be easily fascinated!!!!!!!!!
  6. It is beyond belief that "A STAR" of this pgm can amass a wealth of ten million euros as it stated over here in Ireland.

Now her career is in ruins she shouts!! What career who wants to listen so some dick mouthing off and going to wild parties. What a sad sad world we are living in.
  7. Can not believe peaple watch this shite , I'm a geordie but that arsehole with the false geordie accent makes me cringe , have only seen it while channel hopping , the state of our television is awful , far too many channels and no hope of filling them with quality programmes , absolute shite , :evil: :???:
  8. Seadog

Shite? You rate it too highly dondon.

Looks like moving the thread to the Gash Barge was the right move.
  9. Best place for it "Seadog" , diaria more like
  10. G R

Now will you be told?

P o L
  11. I posted this and went off for a swim knowing that something would be waiting a couple of hours later...

You have all missed my point about the so called 'celebrity' aspects of this incident and conveniently focussed on a critique of anyone who watches the series period.

Am I surprised that you changed the forum? Do bears ..... seadog may have a lovely avatar but in other aspects he's very run of the mill - by RR standards anyway.

So come on guys - any thoughts about the fact that actually we only care because of the supposedly pc society that we live in where a load of television luvvies get wound up. Anyone who knows anything about India knows that the Indian Govt. absolutely adores anything that distracts its (easily distracted) communities from burning effigies of their own politicians, most of whom are even more vile than our own.

Over ...
  12. I think you misunderstood the messages you are getting GR
    The people watching this program generally are unable to string a few words together to make a coherent sentence. The celebrities are only known to these people most intelligent people though they may have heard of Jade would certainly not award her celebrity status. Really the show to the delight of the television company and probably because of the television company achieved a notoriety that it certainly didn't deserve.
    Racism, I don't think so. Loud mouthed chavs with sink estate mentality, definitely. The Indian girl had more class in her little finger than the rest of the house members put together. I think it was a case of Classism.
    As for the comment from Jade about the Indian girl not being able to speak English, The Indian girls command of the English language was superior to most if not all of the housemates
  13. Seadog

Why post an irrelevance in Current Affairs? There are three threads on the subject already including one in Current Affairs.

You miss another point GR. We don't care.

Really? You rocked up on Rum Ration when? Critiqued by someone who watches Big Brother. The shame.
  14. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Ahhhh! Seadog, you are sat in the "popular culture" void, behind the times old fellah!! Shall we form a club? :lol:
  15. In all Fairness to Golden Rivet, I think it was reasonable to launch the Thread in Current Affairs when the fuss first kicked off. I think she may have assumed we were all aware of or concerned for the wider ramifications. I think she watches it as an interested observer of the dross of our Society; and possibly no bad thing for a small "l" liberal. I gladly acknowledge that she's only been here a Dog Watch (just shortly after me!) but I think she has made valuable contributions in that time.

The programme (OK, I'm being kind over a simple "show") really is the epitome of low cost, low value low expectation television for the, generally, chavoid masses. Out of all proportion to its place in our often shallow Society, it has stirred thought and responses at Channel 4 Boardroom, Foreign Government and, consequently, Ministerial levels. Again agreeing with G R, of course the Indians have latched on to this for their own domestic political ends. I suspect that her intended debate was, what should a free society do about such programmes? In the main, it's harmless piffle for the great unthinkers but, nevertheless, is a reflection of that faction. Do we censor and edit the footage to sanitise it, having given the participants strict rules on what and what not they can think and say? Interestingly, that latter point would make it more aligned to Orwell's version. Well, the intention seems that it is to be a "reality" record of people living what, for them, is their normal lives. We can insist all we want that they should censor themselves and act out of character but, as anyone who has run or attended a multi day selection Board knows, people will lapse into being themselves. Of course, stupidity and controversy can themselves be manufactured as that's what attracts the audience.

"Reality" television is with us and we can't put the djin (London, Plymouth or Bombay, no preferrance) back in the bottle. So do we put a stop to it in the National interest or dilute it to something even more meaningless? Either way we've blown a hole in our freedom of thought and speech principles. G R gave us the chance to discuss that but I think she assumed that we would second guess her intentions.
  16. The only reason I can possibly think that people would want to watch this drivel is that their lives are so incredibly deviod of stimulation that they have to watch it in order to see something which is only marginally less dull.

Forget reality TV GR. It's time to take a look outside your window and get a load of the greatest reality show there is to see.

17. I agree reality TV is here to stay, and has actually been with us for a long time, 'fly on the wall' documentaries started in the 60s for example. BBs proble is that it's format in mind numbing for the watchers as well as the participants and to keep it going they have started to try to engineer crisis or controvery both by the selection of the participants and through manipulation of them whilst 'in the house'.

I don't watch it, I have had more fun watching paint dry, but I do think it has fallen from being just a pretty dire programme to being one that one where people are really being manipulated and abused by the programme makers for programme makers finacial benefit.
  18. [Racism, I don't think so. Loud mouthed chavs with sink estate mentality, definitely. The Indian girl had more class in her little finger than the rest of the house members put together. I think it was a case of Classism.
    As for the comment from Jade about the Indian girl not being able to speak English, The Indian girls command of the English language was superior to most if not all of the housemates[/quote]

Slim, you hit the nail right on the head. I don't watch the programme (each to their own), but the clips I have seen of the Jade character shouting at the Indian girl (well tasty girl) I got the impression that she would still be doing that irrespective of the colour/origin of the person she was shouting at. Racist? No, just thick... :grin:
  19. :smile:
    If the indian girl is upset :sad: she can come to Uncle Slims house for a comfort session any time. Might even set a camera up if it makes her feel at home.
  20. Some how I think she has a trifle more taste