Comic Relief and Africa.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Mar 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK I know that I'm going to get shiploads of Sh!t over what I'm going to say but sod it.

Every couple of years third rate comedians get together to raise their profiles and pretend that they are interested in helping the African poor.

[email protected]@cks.

Africa has had more aid than any other continent, why has this been needed? South Africa an extremely rich and prosperous country from 1945 to 1970 or so. Kenya yet another former prosperous country as was Zimbabwe when t was Rhodesia.
    Money has been poured like water into the continent and like a giant sponge it soaks it up and demands more.
    The problems with Africa are two fold. First the place is corrupt and secondly tribalism rules. This means that the brother, sister .cousin etc are given top jobs that they are not qualified to do.
    Africa needs to stand or fall by its own hand.

Standing by for incoming.
  2. Slim.
    Aside from the 3rd rate comedians comment (I think most of them are quite talented) I have a real problem disagreeing with what you say.
    However I assume you saw some of the footage. Letting Africa "Stand or fall by it's own hand" would mean only one loser - The people. The tribal pecking order would still be there as would the corruption. So untill the UN or whoever can sort those two are sorted, I shall be giving a few quid to this fine organisation as with children in need etc.

BTW - Is it me or does anyone else think that or "Force for good" should be applied to Zimbabwe? Surely that is a textbook example of where our exped warfare should be going?
  3. instead of watching videos of homeless people in africa etc lets see whats being done for homeless people in the UK FIRST!! and other under paid citizens of the UK (ignoring the jobless. skivers and chavs!)

all those comedians going on about give money to comic relief well how about you lot giving a days wage first before i give my meagre spending allowance after i have paid tax and NI, stuff they dont pay because all their bank accounts are in switzerland!!

how about all our nurses and surgeons who save lives getting footballers wages instead of some greasy permed chav teenager getting £80,000 a week for kicking around a bag of air!!
  4. Charity begins at home.

There have been plagues in Africa since the world began.

Salve your consciences this year, and there'll be another crisis along shortly for you to empty your pockets for.
  5. Why did we never have this level of problems in Africa when we had the Empire??
  6. Because we had
    machine guns ! They had Java fruit,
  7. Martini-Henry Rifle v a spear/bow and arrow,no contest! :grin: :grin: :grin:
  8. Close call at Rorkes Drift !
  9. A Win is a Win in anyones book!LOL
  10. Thank god that Sgt Major was there.
    We would have came second!
  11. The West has been pouring money into Africa for 50 years and nothing has changed due to the reasons mentioned above. Every so often some 'artist' will organise a benefit concert, using the oportunity to slag off various governments for not doing anything. These concerts usually coincide with the release of the 'artists' latest album/film etc. Surely the plight of the Africans is not being exploited for profit! :shock:

The anti colonial push after WWII resulted in these countries being gvien self government they were totally unprepared for and we are paying for that now. Its worth noting that the countries where the British took control completely and stayed on, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA, are first world countries whereas those left to the natives are the basket cases we see today.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you sure about the USA??
  13. Mobuto The President of Zaire, Previously Belguim Congo is reported to have stolen $52,000,000,000 yes you read that right fifty two billion US Dollars. What could he and his family ever do with such an obscene amount of money. Why did he not stop at Ten Billion and let the people have the rest.

WHY because he could steal it, pure Greed.

Having dealt with many africans in my Plod time IMHO all and I mean all as a sweeping statement, both Black, White and any shade in between from that Continent have little morals or scruples when it comes to violence, theft, civilization or democracy.

Tow it away and sink it some place in a "SINKEX"

Did I give: 1000 to 1 "Yes". Book closed on "No" Would I give to Greenpeace? I do.
  14. I'm not sure that Aussies Kiwis and Canucks would agree with your description of them being British, interesting too that in those countries the native populations were subject to policies that amounted to little more than genocide. This apart the settlers soon established independance from their countries of origin (which in the case of Canada obviously also included France).

I agree that much development money in parts of Africa appears to be completely wasted as it lines the pockets of corrupt officials or is used to fund repressive internal policies. Of course what Africa really needs is for everyone to bugger off and leave them alone for at least 200 years so that they can sort out their own affairs in the same bloody way that Europe did. Can you imagine that happening?

The African Union may ultimately prove a force for good but it is to be hoped it can escape the shackles of deference, nepotism and corruption that are so rampant in the European Union and Commonwealth structures.

I've always hated comic relief. I just don't find it that funny and I think both the BBC and the individuals concerned use it as just another marketing tool - awfully good PR isn't it?

End of rant :lol:

p.s. I'm of the opinion that the USA is a completely different case being a brutal mix of developed and Third World state
  15. I wasn't describing the people of Australia, USA, NZ and Canada as British. I certainly don't think of myself as such and neither does any other Australian I know. I was trying to get across that White European settlers have managed to build modern, independent nations from nothing whereas the 'natives' have managed to build bugger all.

As for the alleged 'genocide' of the native peoples, that a whole topic on its own.
  16. Not very PC Jack :oops:
    However very true :smile:
  17. Slim mate you got it in one! Absolutely bang on!

The best thing for Africa now the last white colony has closed down or been taken over by the locals is shut the borders, blockade the place, return ALL it's original inhabitants to the place and let them get on with it! they will then get the chance to sort themselves out one way or another (probably the other). As for this rubbish about the 'people' being the ones to suffer - where the hell do you think all these despots, thieves and corrupt officials come from? they are the people and the people let them do it (some actually want it and enjoy it - no I don't understand it either but there again i ain't no ni****) Amen!
  18. Jack77

I think that what you describe is also more than coincidence. My only experience of black Africa is Senegal and the Gambia. Having witnessed first hand the African (well, male anyway) work-ethic, none of my money would ever willingly get invested there. Africa is, literally, a black hole. It would absorb the wealth of the entire World, never to be seen again. I think there are times to accept that life's not fair and that s**t happens.
  19. A little of topic but many white Rhodesians (Zimbabweans) are being refused asylum here in the UK. This despite the fact that Rhodesia was a crown colony and their parents fought alongside British troops. To my mind Zimbabwe is more dangerous to these asylum seekers than other countries who's citizens seem to be coming in their droves.
  20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

comic relief is a con, I have worked (and been paid) on many red nose days, On avarage I have probably earnt a grand a day out of them. Most charity do's are cons, I could do a charity gig every day of the week if I wanted to, but I look at the executive asking me to give up my time for him, note his 60k a year wage and the brand spankers merc on the drive and then politley tell him/her to go do one. I turned down the prince of Wales the other day, I told his flunky that if he would give up a days wage like myself and my guys were being asked to do then we'd be delighted to help out, when I was told that HRH wouldn't do that thay got told to do something involving sex and travel as well.
    I do however support for free the London Taxi drivers, every year we do at least one or two gigs for them, these are ordinary working blokes who willingly give up there time and spend there own money organising and putting on events for Londons under privalaged kids, I'd like also to add that the household DIV every year without fail are there helping out as well, unpaid and freely giving up there time off, they are a credit to the armed forces.