Cometh the hour - cometh the man

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Rocksteady, Feb 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard many of them spout off over the years - my old man was one of them. They are universally villified and are often psycopathic/sociopathic - no empathy, no remourse and no sense of concsious!

I'm talking politicians! (Boooo! Boooo!)

However, you should all check Dr. Benjamin Carson! This man has legs and if ever I saw a candidate I would back...

Doctor Carson on Obama Debt's Lecture: I Don't Know Where We Left Our Brains - YouTube

2. Seemed to spend more time talking about himself than he did about others, mabye not what you want in a politician?

3. That was because he was being interviewed about himself, I imagine. However, here is the full speech unabridged. Once you get passed the sickly sweet intro and obligatory American God worship, he has things worth listening to but have not been voiced.

Now, given that he is a doctor speaking within arms reach of the President of the USA who can only get his point over with the aid of an auto cue(and throwing bombs his way - doc at pres, that is), he comes over as someone with a message worth listening to

Dr. Benjamin Carson Epic Full Speech at National Prayer Breakfast Attacks Obama's Policies! - YouTube

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. What has American politics got to do with us?

I'm British, live in England so what in the blue blazes has a speech to POTUS by another US citizen any interest to British voters?

Or have we been assimilated into the USA whilst I slept!!!!!!

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The 'National Prayer Breakfast' interested me. When the expenses scandal came out, I checked my MP's declarations and found a claim for, I believe, £2,500 as costs for the 'National Prayer Breakfast' in the House of Commons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Am I the only person who wants someone like Nixon in the whitehouse?

9. Er if you ever watch the tape of the yanks ambassador to the UN Jeane Kirkpatrick who openly supported the Argentine Invasion and the scurry of Yankee bridge building in the wake you might want to revise that statement.
    Ronald Regan was a Thatcher fan.

Taken from google:-
    She was one of the strongest supporters of Argentina's military dictatorship following the March 1982 Argentine invasion of the United Kingdom's Falkland Islands, which triggered the Falklands War. Kirkpatrick had a "soft spot" for Argentina's President Gen. Leopoldo Galtieri,[SUP][1][/SUP] and favored neutrality rather than the pro-British policy favored by the Secretary of State Alexander Haig.[SUP][5][/SUP] The British ambassador Sir Nicholas Henderson described her as "..more fool than fascist..she appears to be one of America's own-goal scorers, tactless, wrong-headed, ineffective, and a dubious tribute to the academic profession to which she [expresses] her allegiance".[SUP][10][/SUP] The administration ultimately decided to declare support for the British, thus forcing her to vote yes to UN resolution 502.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ^That's what I meant. Maggie made sure that she kept Ronnie sweet as she knew which side her bread was buttered.

11. I think you will find that her cabinet were a shower of wets, she didn't care too much about the American view and was tenacious enough to want to get the islands back as a point of personal and national pride.
    As soon as she was told it was do able by sea-dogs oppo, off we jolly-well went.

12. Lot of difference in using folk than belief in their politics!

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Very likely.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seadog

Notwithstanding the content of the OP's link, rather a lot given the influence of the US on the world stage and the influence of POTUS on awestruck British Prime Ministers.

15. Seadog

I see what you did there.

Post war legend suggests US help was down to: personal connections especially those of the Hereford Gun Club and the then US Defence (or Defense) Secretary Caspar Weinberger.

16. Well I for one am still of the opinion the world does not revolve around the United States of America.

The US may think they are the one and only but if we (UK), as a nation showed as much patriotism to our own country the US worshipers might change tack and concentrate on our own politics!

National Pride may be found in the grave next to common sense!

17. :toothy2:I'll believe whatever you say Waspie cos you used to wear a flying helmet