combined services boxing championships

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by tiddlyoggy, Mar 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Evening all,
    For any RR's who may be interested, I had the pleasure of judging the above named event last night. Only 6 weight categories were contested, with the navy beating the army 4-2. Unfortunately the army had (yet again) entered a full squad, filling all categories and on numbers alone had won the event before a single punch had been thrown. We have now not won it since 1983, mainly for lack of numbers. Any young uns out there who are interested get involved. We have some great coaches (as our results prove), we just need more bodies.
  2. I'd love to when (More like "if" until after the medical) I get in :D
  3. The year I left the Corps. A coincidence? I think not!
    My 'boxing' career in the Corps mainly involved bleeding and being told by Smiler the 45 Cdo boxing coach/manager/guru to "Not give up the day job, son."
  4. And mine consisted of having to endure shouts of "Fight him don't fcuk him"

Needless to say, I could(n't) have been a contender.
  5. I have never understood why anyone willingly enters a ring for the sole purpose of being knocked out, or doing the same to the other guy. If there's more to it than this then do tell!
  6. Because fighting rules ass! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even when you lose it's funny.
  7. So it "rules ass" eh? In that case please excuse me while I PM thingy on this matter.
  8. It's a Royal and Stoker thing, brains of a rocking horse? Getinthereandkill'im!!
  9. Fighting is pretty fun.
  10. I would, he's our resident expert on such matters.
  11. tiddlyoggy

The motivation to do it is the challenge. If you're a sportsman of any kind you will recognise the concept at least, or if your an intellectual, perhaps your challenge is the Times crossword. We all have our own preferences. I wouldn't want to climb Everest, but I can understand why others do. What makes boxing special is that it is you alone in there. You can't pop out a pass for a flying winger to score for you, you can listen to your coach between rounds, but only you can directly influence the outcome of the bout, to me that is the utmost challenge.
  12. tiddlyoggy

You should have used my tactics mate, I had an impregnable defence: blocked everything with my head. :wink:
  13. Are you a good boxer yourself, Tiddlyoggy?
  14. tiddlyoggy

Not any more! Too old! Not bad as a lad though.
  15. First week of part ! training at Raleigh down the gym for a spot of milling, the bloke I was paired off with ( I had only just made the minimum height regs on entry ) was much bigger than me and I suppose I got him with a lucky punch, detailed off for boxing training. Bollox, training before normal classes meant rising 30 mins before anyone else 3 mornings a week, anyways got as far as Q finals of Guzz area championships and the training has helped in a few scrapes since.
  16. As for the weight categories where you have no Boxers, why not give Nails a call, he could fill all of the vacancies by all accounts. Well, by his accounts at least!
  17. I always made it a point of honour to lead with my nose :lol: .

I somehow always ended up facing the Junior Lightweight Champion of Sussex or Clackmanochshire, I was only there to provide them with a warm up. :oops:
  18. Rule No1 NZ. Never volunteer!
  19. In My Day (I Know Zzzzzzz!!) every year, just before the Unit boxing competition began, all Companys in the Unit turned to, in turn, in the gym for 'Trials' it was compulsory.
    I'd have rather gone for a 10 mile run or a cup of tea in the NAAFI and given my opponent a bye, but it was 'character building' apparently.
    Gave the MAs some practice with mopping up the claret as well.
  20. can't wait until i get down to ralleigh really, love boxing.