Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

colour perception tests

tobsen

I'm hoping to become an engineering officer. I passed my recruit test and now waiting for a medical. Worried about this as I know I will fail the Ishihara test as am red-green colourblind. I know CP4 is acceptable as an engineering officer but can anyone tell me what further testing is needed in order to be classified as CP4 (ie. trade tests?)?

Joe_Crow

War Hero
This is not an unusual question, and has been asked and answered many times. Have a read of the 'Sticky' threads at the top of the Newbies forum, or do a search, and you will find the info you are after.

tobsen

Have tried searching and found some threads about colour blindness and which branches are still open to you, but not anyone saying what tests they actually had to do. I've seen what the cp3 lamps test involves, and also that the CP4 tests are trade related eg. identifying coloured tabs, wires, resistors. Just trying to find info from any colourblind engineering officer on what specifically the tests involved for them were (if it is that specific!) to see if I stand a chance!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Serious question, when you look at a normal three core length of wire, what, if any colours do you see?

Drakey

War Hero
Knowing what the test(s) involve will not improve your chance of passing them as your CP will determine what you can and cannot see. Practicing CP tests will not improve your chances either. Just go with the flow and see what happens.

tobsen

Thanks for the replies. I realise I won't be able to practise for the tests or improve my chances, just don't want to wait months to find out I can't do the career I hoped for.
From what I have seen, would it be a case of matching wires? Normal 3 core wire does look green/yellow, blue and usually brown to me, though sometimes the brown might look rather similar to red. However, if I had red and brown next to each other I can definitely tell the difference. It's the similar shades on the Ishihara plates that make it very difficult for me to distinguish the colours, so I know I can't see the numbers on those!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 Colour perception tests Health & Fitness 3
J Passed Interview - Worried about colour perception! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
2 Colour perception Current Affairs 10
J RFA Limitations With Colour Blindness RFA 7
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
R Joining the reserves with CP4 colour vision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Colour correction g Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
BARNEYRNSM What colour can a drill insturctors pace stick be? SCC and URNU 34
krem81 HMS Hood in Colour History 0
R Colour deficient (colour blindness) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Creating camouflage that can change colour MoD News 0
A Colour blind cp requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P Colour Blindness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
DTM Colour impaired Health & Fitness 13
3 Needing Glasses? Also colour blindness Submariners 1
Taztiff ETWE and colour blindness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Guns Black and White photos to colour History 0
W me sm colour blindness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Weapon engineering officer (colour deficiency worries) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
trelawney126 Colour Sgt Charlie Bowden Current Affairs 0
The_Caretaker Colour of Uniforms Land Ops 0
soleil Navy News: "Blue is the Colour" The Fleet 1
bikerman Colour blindness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Colour Blind :( Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
L Colour Vision Health & Fitness 1
S Colour blindness The Corps 4
scouse Colour Change The Quarterdeck 1
Topstop Trooping the Colour Current Affairs 21
J colour vision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M colour problem The Corps 8
P RM Colour Sergeant looks after kids while wife goes to war Current Affairs 4
S Colour vision & Careers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
BillyNoMates WW II (In Colour - mostly) History 5
B colour sargeant jim thorner The Corps 12
W back ground colour- word Bloody Computers 18
Passed-over_Loggie The Multi Colour Swop Shop Flag? The Fleet Air Arm 12
K WHAT IS UR FAVIOUT COLOUR SUB BLUE OR BACK Submariners 5
B RN Officer & colour vision The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS News story: Qualifications perception survey - latest results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions MoD News 0
soleil R4 - Broadcasting House - Perception Of The Armed Forces Current Affairs 0
S National Identity and Perception of Treatment Survey Current Affairs 0
A Color Perception Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
rosinacarley Visial perception test Diamond Lil's 25
MoD_RSS Environmental Land Management tests and trials: 23 Burns Farmer Group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests in UK-developed antibody tests from UK Rapid Test Consortium MoD News 0
K Rejected after having done preliminary tests and medicals (overseas candidate) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Roll-out of 2 new rapid coronavirus tests ahead of winter MoD News 0
S How are recruitment tests marked? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Driving lessons, theory tests and driving tests to restart in Wales MoD News 1