Colour perception tests

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 506ross, Jul 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have a query regarding my pre joining medical results. I am applying to join as a pilot, and had my medical examinations a little over two weeks ago. I had to travel to Southport to have the medical and the doctor told me everything was fine and I had passed.
    However when I called my AFCO to ask when my PJFT would be I was promptly told me I had failed my medical because my colour perception was only CP2 and I needed to be CP1 for pilot. He stated that I would have to wait a few months and redo a Holmes-Wright lantern test.
    I was dismayed, but I was sure I had read all the numbered cards correctly in my colour perception test. I called the doctor to double check and did some hunting on google and found that the test I had done was the Ishihara test which can only classify you as CP2 and not higher.

So does this mean as I am applying for pilot I havent failed my medical, I am just waiting to do a second round of medical testing?

Any help or anyone who has had experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

506ross

2. You're right- you haven't failed (technically) but you haven't yet been established as CP1. the "repeat" medical is to assess this.

3. Thanks for confirming that for me. Just wanted to make sure and alleviate any unnecessary worry.

4. What a bloody strange way of doing things, surely it would be a better use of time and money getting the right tests carried out in the first place