Colour deficient (colour blindness)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ronald Avy, Aug 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am going to pop into a recruitment office this next week to start the processes of an application to the Navy.

I am colour blind - but going for a branch with CP4 standards. Does anyone know of any national chain of opticians that does the lantern test and possibly the wires test? I can't seem to find any information about what the test actually is online....

I know I can't really practise it but it would be good to find out if I would pass it at some standard - so I know whether I should or should not get my hopes up.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The military colour perception standard is unlikely to be conducted by civilian opticians unfortunately.

I think Specsavers maybe able to conduct the Ishihari (coloured dots) test, but I don't believe they are able to grade it to military standards.

If you can correctly identify basic red, green, yellow and blue stationery tabs in daylight, you are more or less CP4 or better - or so legend has it.

3. Thanks Ninja_stoker

that is very helpful.
  4. @Ninja_Stoker

I think I am looking at the RN Reserves route alongside my current role. Do you know what the colour perception requirements are for that role? or is it the same as RN (Regular) where I just choose the branch where I serve as a RNReserve