Colour Blindness

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Paddy2518, Jul 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So had my medical this morning and was declared TMU because of my colour vision. Said he thinks the next step is a lantern test (which I should pass no problems) where's this taken at? Has any one else been in the same situation ?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So far as I'm aware the Ishihara Test is currently used to grade CP2 & CP 4, the Lantern Test is used to grade those that need to be CP 1 (Usually Aircrew or Warfare Officer) or CP 3.

It can take a few weeks to be booked for a Lantern Test, your AFCO will arrange rail tickets if necessary.

3. It was ETME that I'd applied for. I knew I wouldn't pass the ishihara plates I never have. If I'm going for a lantern test where abouts will it be?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Difficult to say as I don't know where you live or which AFCO surgery local to you has a Holmes Wright Lantern.

Have to say, I don't understand why you need a Lantern Test as ET(ME) is CP4 and that can be determined using the Ishihari Test (Coloured Dots), a Colour Expanse Test (Different coloured Stationery Tabs correctly identified) or by successfully completing a Wire Trade Test (Correctly connecting a series of coloured wires).

Give your AFCO a call - it seems rather odd.

5. My AFCO is carlisle. I'll have to give them a ring on Monday, I've got a feeling it's going to be half way down the country if I have to do the lantern test. I'd prefer the wire test or the stationary tabs I won't have a problem with them I just can't manage the colour plates that I did today I never have managed them.

6. I agree with NS. It is odd that you sjould need a HWL test for engineering. The HWL is used for CP1 determination not CP4.

Hopefully you won't need to have the test, travel the country and can move on in the process. Good luck.

7. So after 6 weeks I'm still no further fowards. I've phoned the careers office a couple of times to see if there's any updates and so far have only got that they are still waiting on guidance and that there's another lad in the same position. Does any one have any idea on how long it'll take them to get guidance?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Unfortunately it is in the hands of the company contracted to conduct the medicals & whilst your AFCO can ask for an update, they can do little else.

The frustration is appreciated, rest assured.