Collision between yaught and tanker at cowes week

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by honkus, Sep 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Collision between yacht and tanker at cowes week

Hi, take a look at the attached link especially the youtube clip which is quite spectacular / scary.

Saturday Oops – Cowes week crossing

The reason i posted this here is I have heard rumours that the yacht was being crewed by a group of senior naval officers, just wondered if anyone new anything?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Linky not working mate. or isit just my connection?

3. Not working.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

article-2023307-0D53E8A000000578-563_634x453.jpg

Senior naval officers? I assume that you are hoping to embarrass the Royal Navy and no other navy. Well, the yacht is registered in Ireland, the dip-shit crew don't look old enough to be senior anything.

And sort your spelling out. Oh look, a grown up did it for you (not sure that that's what mod's tools are for)

5. Sorry, Seadog - you're right - a misjudgement on my part - restored to the original version.

6. Spelling now corrected, (I hope) sorry about that.

Sorry if it appears that I am trying to embarass the Royal Navy which was not my intention, when I looked at a number of forums discussing this I looked here to see if it had been discussed. Navy personnell on board or not it is still something which I would think would be of interest.

7. Seadog

You started with a rumour of
    Now it's
    Assuming you are referring to the Royal Navy your brush just went from a specific and small group to one of tens of thousands.

RR may be a rumour service but a dim view is taken of ill informed bollocks. Of course it's possible navy personnel were on board, but 'I've heard a rumour about senior officer stupidity' and bad spelling in a first post screams journalist on a fishing trip.

Why not start the discussion? Never mind what you've heard, what do think?

8. Ok, then what do you all think?

Atalanta of Chester is the name of the yacht, which was according to the Cowes web site skippered by a Roly Wilson.

so if you google "Atalanta Roly Wilson Navy" you will come across some of the other forums i looked at before coming here.

9. Seadog

Honkus, you are still not contributing. What do you think?

Seadog wrote
    Just not senior.

I don't see a reference to the incident on the MAIB website so perhaps they did an admin investigation only. No serious injury or deaths, fault obvious. Embarrassing if any member of the RN was to blame but hey, we've done more, higher profile damage than dismasting a yacht and leaving a pink rag on a ship's anchor.

Pink? Now that is embarrassing.