College and MCD

Hello there

Just wondering I have been very passionate about diving and I have settled on being a MCD. I know that It takes a long time to become one through all the training and check ups but I want to go to college as a backup. My question is that can I go to college at 16 and still apply to be a MCD at the same time

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thread move imminent.

Hello there

Just wondering I have been very passionate about diving and I have settled on being a MCD. I know that It takes a long time to become one through all the training and check ups but I want to go to college as a backup. My question is that can I go to college at 16 and still apply to be a MCD at the same time
You can indeed but cannot join as an MCD until 18+.

Current wait is 30 months upwards for MCD.

My advice? Consider joining in a technical branch now to further broaden your work experience, future employability and transferable qualifications whilst earning a wage, then apply to sideways transfer as an MCD whilst serving. If you fail, you've still got a job and could well have earned over £60k whilst earning & learning.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I wouldn't join now and transfer later. Go to college whilst you wait.
Doubtless the OP would benefit on the context of the advice a little more...

Trouble is, from my angle, there's an overbearing in the branch so either way it's not a quick fix for those wishing to become a Diver as a Rating. Three years or more possibly. Direct entry Diver, Aircrewman and Naval Police was only introduced because of manning shortfalls in each branch, Diver certainly isn't in that category now, so the future is at the whim of the branch manager.

I guess it depends on the type of further educational qualifications acquired and the vocational application of the grades attained.

For those undertaking a BTEC L3 Engineering course, the Accelerated Apprentice or the Undergrad Apprentice (UGAS) schemes offer a decent start wage of £31,100 (plus £5k pre tax bounty for UGAS) which isn't a bad back-up but arguably an AET, ET(ME) or ET(WE) could attain the same qualifications whilst earning a wage....if they serve long enough.

One alternative would be to complete sixth form (and maybe gain a degree & circa £50k student debt) before joining on £6k less than an accelerated apprentice as a Warfare Officer with possibly the hope of being streamed MCD Officer (MCDO), but for a 16 year old, it's potentially a long old, costly haul.

I would never, ever, join the RN with the intention of branch transferring into a branch that also has direct entry. You are simply not in control of the decision to move across; waiting for 36 months is long, absolutely, but at least you know you'll be a Diver.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I would never, ever, join the RN with the intention of branch transferring into a branch that also has direct entry.
Agreed, the s3049 Attestation Form (the bit ratings 'sign-on' erm, on) specifically indicates it is not possible to transfer branches and the individual is content with their chosen branch.

Presumably your current branch wasn't direct entry and the time taken to achieve your transfer, explains the reason for the careers advice to a potential Mine Clearance Diver
On the basis it took nearly 3 jobs and 7 years for my branch transfer to be confirmed, I have no problem with people wanting to change jobs
Agreed, me neither, but it is never a given admittedly, despite claims to the contrary, regardless of 2SL PFS.
You are simply not in control of the decision to move across; waiting for 36 months is long, absolutely, but at least you know you'll be a Diver.
Unfortunately no one does for certain. That's the point, otherwise I'd wholeheartedly agree.

The reason for my angle is we don't know for sure whether or not it will remain direct entry, so waiting three years only to find out it's maybe no longer a direct entry branch could be a bit of a downer. It may not be the case of course, but that's the reason for the suggestion, as a careers adviser, to consider alternative routes to achieve the goal.

Oh, I transferred because I joined the wrong branch at 16...
If bubble heads are over subscribed, there is always the option of joining a branch of choice, eg research other branches and apply to become a ships diver, at least you could be earning, gaining experience and diving whilst waiting to become MCD. You never know, you may prefer to be in the newly chosen branch with the option to dive, speak to @SONAR-BENDER he was a ships diver/ submariner, who still dives now many years after leaving the Navy
Still look at your college course, as the joining process can take longer than some think.
Good luck

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There is actually another option...

Stay in college and run a dual application for the RN as an MCD and the RNR in the Underwater Force Protection role, then doing a seamless transfer from the Reserves to Regulars. It maybe even possible to get the full ten week Initial Naval Training package cracked as a Reservist so that the transfer is straight onto MCD course as/when/if the vacancy arises.

The bonus is RNR Divers can join from age 16: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/brochures/royal-navy-reserves/roles/diving

Advantages? You can find out if you'll like it, it puts money in the pocket of destitute students, it gives you a flying start and you still get your civilian educational qualifications.

Disadvantage? You need civilian PADI/BSAC qualifications to join the branch.

There is actually another option...

Stay in college and run a dual application for the RN as an MCD and the RNR in the Underwater Force Protection role, then doing a seamless transfer from the Reserves to Regulars. It maybe even possible to get the full ten week Initial Naval Training package cracked as a Reservist so that the transfer is straight onto MCD course as/when/if the vacancy arises.

The bonus is RNR Divers can join from age 16: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/brochures/royal-navy-reserves/roles/diving

Advantages? You can find out if you'll like it, it puts money in the pocket of destitute students, it gives you a flying start and you still get your civilian educational qualifications.

Disadvantage? You need civilian PADI/BSAC qualifications to join the branch.
A very strong idea.

well that blows that option out of the water, how would a ship perform a bottom search, or cut crap of a a prop whilst at sea?
There are Dive Teams at notice to do that kind of stuff.

Put it this way, In the 10+ years since Ships' Divers have gone, I've only ever seen the Fleet Team come out once to a ship to do something.

..........you may prefer to be in the newly chosen branch with the option to dive, speak to @SONAR-BENDER he was a ships diver/ submariner, who still dives now many years after leaving the Navy............
Thanks for the vote of confidence Sumo! IMO stupid idea to do away with SDs, but hey, what do I know.

OP, If you wnt to know aboutPADI/BSAC dive quals etc, pm me.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Can someome please exspand on the idea of joining the rnr then transfering to mcd as im a little baffled on the idea
You just apply for MCD as per normal, then advise your Careers Adviser, after passing the recruit test, you are aware there is a long wait and want to run a dual application and join the RNR in the interim.

You'll then be interviewed for both, undertake a standard AFCO Medical initially (for the RNR), ideally pass the PJFT at the standard required for Diver, gain security clearance and attest into the reserves. You can then apply for UWFP (Diver) in the reserves, undergo a diving medical and crack on with the RNR whilst awaiting a PDA for MCD in the regular service.

For the RNR, you'll be put in touch with your local unit & be invited to attend an initial maritime reserves presentation to get all the info you need and likewise your careers adviser can steer you through the selection process.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you. It sounds a simpler now another question if i join the rnr can i still go to college
Absolutely. The RNR fits around college quite nicely. Drill nights are a couple of hours a week, early evening, the odd weekend and a couple of weeks here and there when you are probably on your end of term hols anyway.

Latest Threads