Colin Powell on Guantanamo Bay

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a Bill going through the US senate to restore the most fundamental of human rights - Habeas Corpus. Here's what General Powell had to say about Gitmo.

Powell: Close Guantanamo Now, Restore Habeas
    This morning on NBC’s Meet the Press, Gen. Colin Powell strongly condemned the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, calling it “a major problem for America’s perception†and charging, “if it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo — not tomorrow, this afternoon.â€

He also called for an end to the military commission system the Bush administration has created to try Guantanamo detainees. “I would simply move them to the United States and put them into our federal legal system,†Powell said. He scoffed at criticism that the detainees would have access to lawyers and the writ of habeas corpus: “So what? Let them. Isn’t that what our system’s all about?â€

“[E]very morning I pick up a paper and some authoritarian figure, some person somewhere, is using Guantanamo to hide their own misdeeds,†Powell said. “[W]e have shaken the belief that the world had in America’s justice system by keeping a place like Guantanamo open… We don’t need it, and it’s causing us far more daage than any good we get for it.â€

RM

2. Now there is a man that would have made a brilliant American president.

3. Bloody hell for a man who cannot pronounce his own name properly, he doesn't half talk some sense!

4. Very easy for retired military personnel to talk sense - they have bugger all to lose. The real brave ones are those who shout out when they're still in uniform.

SF

5. Very, very true. I see the former 1SL was "lording it" on TV this morning (dressed in nos. 1's - thought he had retired!) - it's a shame he wasn't so prominent before he retired.

6. Colon was certainly in the running to be considered as a strong potential US Presidential candidate. Right up until he stood before the United Nations and sold his soul.

He will now be forever remembered as the one man with the reputation and charisma to have stopped the invasion of Iraq; just by telling the truth.
    Bummer or what :thumright:

RM

7. And he knows it too.
    NZB

8. No fan of Colin Powell here - the man who singlehandedly stopped the deposition of Saddam Hussein and the conquering of Iraq in 1990 by whispering politics instead of war in Dubya's daddies' ear; every death in Iraq from 2001 on is a blot on his soul because the man thought more about how it would look to the world than to let us finish the job.

9. So true...decisions we are making now could have been prevented had Storming Norman been allowed to chase after the Iraqi's, that's when you shoot first and worry about the paperwork later, the Arab world were in complete agreement about the Kuwait episode and wanted it resolved, so while the Anvil was hot is when we should have completed the mission...unfortunately hindsight is always 20-20, but it was a missed chance that we are ruing today.... ^_^;

10. That old fairy story.

What would have happened to the coalition of the willing, if we'd exceeded the UN mandate and gone into Iraq?

In 1991 there were still plenty of politicians around in the coalition who'd actually seen combat and aftermath and weren't willing to take on the massive can of worms that an occupation of Iraq would entail.

Then again, a 1991 occupation wouldn't have had lunatics making breathtakingly bad decisions about running the place.

11. No need to have gone in outright, there was a rebellion in the South in 1991, we fan the flames, take away Saddam's air power (including Helicopters) and it is an Arab vs Arab uprising, we would be supporting Arabs in getting democracy, rather than forcing it down their necks. It would have been a liberation.

I believe that they were scared of Iran getting too much influence in what would have been a Shia controlled country, however how that is different from what we have today?