Cold War Submarine - Ocelot.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by janner, Aug 16, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Ah! A real submarine! Thanks for the heads-up Janner - I shall definitely be watching!

3. Article wrong in one respect, says there were 7 submariner VC's, there has been 14 awarded so far.

4. Glad I haven't got smelly vision :)

I shall watch and see how the other half lived.

5. Good luck watching it. It's no longer available on BBC iPlayer...

... which is disappointing but no great shock - the article is from 2013.

6. Agree, disappointing. But this bit from the Huffington Post might be of interest - although despite the headline, it's not about the heads in a decommissioned RN submarine.........

It's worth clicking on "view larger map"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/04/google-street-view-hms-ocelot_n_4212450.html

• Like Like x 2
  7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Took a tour from the link.

One of you mature gents might know this. Who is the honey pinned up on the bulkhead in the mess fwd of the control room?
    For some reason I can't copy and paste it.

Good to be reminded how poor some equipment is in the RN is. AEL fittings. Please tell me that they have better alternatives planned for the future.

8. The mess appears to be the wardroom. I missed the pin-up first time around; although the hair colour is wrong, could it be Diana Rigg?

Did you spot the baited insect trap?

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

10. Corrected.

11. Possibly fair comment. :)

But just a little unfair. The definition of submarine and submersible is not that clear. Although a nuclear submarine is significantly more flexible than a diesel-electric boat in terms of endurance, it is still limited in the time it can spend beneath the surface.

Or am I biting?

12. Possibly...........!

Both are ultimately 'submersibles', except in one case it is only 'cos the occupants need to be fed!

13. ....and the reactor topped up with nuclear stuff?

14. Nah, the food runs out long, LONG before the special fuel!

• Like Like x 1
  15. OK, but the special fuel does run out eventually.

Food? In "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Captain Nemo and his merry men were able to exit the Nautilus underwater and indulge in a spot of fishing and generally harvesting the ocean's produce. A sort of submerged "hands to bathe and tell porky pies about the one that got away".

In the real world, did anyone ever consider such a way of extending a submarine's food supply?

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  16. Shush my pretty - I know the answer to this but I can't tell you...........

17. witsend

[​IMG]

18. Every 10 years (ish) on T's, a lot longer on Astutes. Snorkers well gone by then :)

19. ....or you would have to kill me, I know.
    Many years ago, living in Germany, I visited a WW2 U-boat on the beach at Laboe near Kiel. Type VIIC, much the same as the one in Das Boot. Now preserved as a memorial, you get on board by ramps which led to entrance and exit doors cut through the side of the pressure hull. Winding up my then young kids, I said something like: "Isn't it amazing how the water didn't get in through the doors?"
    They rolled their eyes in embarrassment at my adult stupidity - but then, from behind me in the queue touring the boat, a German voice rang out: "Excuse. You are not understanding. Ven ze U-boat vos operational, ze doors ver not zair........."

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. witsend

That's a great idea.

Why don't we have the Bish (If we carried one) swim out one of the tubes. Catch a fish with nothing more than a pair of speedos and harpoon gun. When he gets back on board he can do some of his voodoo black magic shit and hey presto 100 fish suppers.

Herbie Lott for me!