Coeliac disease and food intolerances

#1
Hi,

I've been quiet on the forums for quite a long time!

I've had to postpone my application and my AIB board for aircrew for over 6 months due to poor health from some strange illness and have recently been found to have coeliac disease (food allergy to wheat and gluten).

Having this condition classes a person as unfit to serve in the application packs but I wondered if anybody has heard of anyone currently serving that has it too?

Apparently if I control my diet I'll be well again in some months but, I'm seeking something to inspire some confidence while a pray for some magical reason that my application won't be binned.
 

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
#2
Hi Foxtrot,

Whilst I don't know about whether coeliac's will bar you from entry, I do know that there are people currently at sea who have it. Any dietary restriction is notified to the Catering Office as part of the joining routine and once it is known then the Chefs can prepare a meal accordingly. This may be either an option from the main counter without any gluten products or an individual meal. Whilst yours is a recognised condition, you would be amazed at how many people declare an allergy to certain foodstuffs; most of the time they just don't like them.

If you are based shore side, then under the terms of JSP 456 Vol 4 (the Pay As You Dine regulations) the contractor providing the food has to be able to cater for all dietary requirements including religious, cultural, medical variations.

I'm not sure on this final point, but I think ORP (ration packs) are an issue as there cannot be any guarantee of getting a gluten free meal. This is especially important on Land Ops.

Good Luck
 
#3
foxtrot said:
Hi,

I've been quiet on the forums for quite a long time!

I've had to postpone my application and my AIB board for aircrew for over 6 months due to poor health from some strange illness and have recently been found to have coeliac disease (food allergy to wheat and gluten).

Having this condition classes a person as unfit to serve in the application packs but I wondered if anybody has heard of anyone currently serving that has it too?

Apparently if I control my diet I'll be well again in some months but, I'm seeking something to inspire some confidence while a pray for some magical reason that my application won't be binned.
Hi,

In our guidance note for completing the AFCO 4 (Application form), there is a list of Medical conditions that preclude entry. Unfortunately for you Gluten sensitivity (Coeliac Disease) is on that list.

Therefore it is unlikely that you will get into the RN/RM or any other armed force (as we all use the same medical standards).

Best of luck in whatever direction you go

SM

:)
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#4
Just to add that it's important to remember medical standards for entry differ from the medical standards permitted for those that later develop a condition after joining.

In other words, as stated by supermario, those wishing to join the service cannot join with this condition unfortunately & cannot use the fact that there maybe people serving who have this condition as a method of appeal.
 

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
#5
Ninja_Stoker said:
Just to add that it's important to remember medical standards for entry differ from the medical standards permitted for those that later develop a condition after joining.
Sorry Ninja, I should have said that in my reply to Foxtrot.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#6
Not a problem.

The snag with recruiting is that we have to cover all eventualities & end-up virtually speaking in fluent "legal-ese" to ensure we cover all the angles.

In short we speak gobbledegook talking to nominees, nominated, nominon-nums who obviously seek loop-holes & inconsistencies in order to seek redress for the aforementioned, non-prejudical comments, commentaries and hitherto unmentioned condiments & ancilliary doo-dahs. If you get my drift. :?
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
#7
For info, coeliac isn't tolerated for those already serving either. I've sent a couple to NSMBOS and they were P8'd.
 
#8
Thanks for the info guys.
I was hoping that there would be some consideration given seeing as I had already applied before this all happened. I know what the answer will be but I'll be informing AIB soon.

The timing of this really couldn't be any worse, now I need to find another career.

foxtrot
 

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
#9
Bit of a shame really, my sister was interesting in becoming a Naval Nurse, but couldn't get in because of coeliacs. Should manage to get round it somehow..
 

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
#11
Meaning in the terms, they could have a dish without wheat or gluten. Same way they have a dish for vegeterians even though its not a medical condition.
 

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
#13
Patrick said:
Meaning in the terms, they could have a dish without wheat or gluten. Same way they have a dish for vegeterians even though its not a medical condition.
'Have a dish..' :lol:

It ain't like you walk into a 4 * restaurant and pick from a specially designed menu catering for all.
Galleys are tiny by comparison.
Making their own bread for eg as they do at sea, they cannot guarantee wheat free bread. You want toast... you share the toaster. The potential for x contamination is great as is the risk of illness from that contamination.
Even vinegar can pose a problem for coeliac sufferers.

So should a responsible employer take that risk? Obviously not.

Unless of course yoiu were suggesting that the applicant keep quiet about their condition... :roll: A foolish idea IMHO
 
#14
R12_CV said:
Unless of course yoiu were suggesting that the applicant keep quiet about their condition... :roll: A foolish idea IMHO
Especially as her surname is known by the AFCO members of this site :twisted:
 

Patrick

Lantern Swinger
#15
Ahh see how you mean now R12, forgot about the contamination. Of course not, she knew she couldn't join when she asked at the AFCO, hadn't been a coeliac for very long then.
 
#16
My eldest lad has coeliacs and copes well with it day to day but as stated the risk of cross contamination is great in a private house where all family members are aware of the problem and routines are in place to deal with it. It would be unreasonable to expect a busy galley to have to cope with the additional burden.

I do feel for you foxtrot, not good to have your hopes dashed like that; good luck on whatever path you chose next.
 

Similar threads