Coco drink?

Hello all,

Most of the old ww2 RN books refer to a certain drink called ‘coco/coca’, which apparently consists of some sort of hot chocolate mix. According to the veterans I've spoken to this was originally in the form of a large, thick, block of chocolate which was heated and then poured into a mug. The drink was supposed to give a bit of an energy boost for those on watch and was a great comfort on the convoys.

I just wanted to check on the validity of these claims & ingredients as it does sound like a very interesting drink. Has anyone tried it or does anyone know if it's still available from somewhere?

-Vesper
My father spoke of this on the early morning watches in the Navy.

Daibach

Hello all,

Most of the old ww2 RN books refer to a certain drink called ‘coco/coca’, which apparently consists of some sort of hot chocolate mix. According to the veterans I've spoken to this was originally in the form of a large, thick, block of chocolate which was heated and then poured into a mug. The drink was supposed to give a bit of an energy boost for those on watch and was a great comfort on the convoys.

I just wanted to check on the validity of these claims & ingredients as it does sound like a very interesting drink. Has anyone tried it or does anyone know if it's still available from somewhere?

-Vesper
This is quite true and it was called Kai. You made it from a block of black chocolate, you added a tin of Carnation milk, and if my memory serves me rightly 2llbs of sugar. This was then placed in a container called a 'Fanny' (a saucepan). It was then taken down to the engine room and placed under a steam tap to create the drink. It was shared with the other 'watchkeepers'. It certainly kept you warm on a cold night on deck.

rumbull

aka KAI. The dark unsweetened chocolate was supplied in a large block and was grated into a mug and hot water applied. I misssed the WW2 version but certainly in the 50s it remained as before. It was also very nice to gnaw with sharp young teeth.

rumbull

Kai was still available onboard in the 1970s.... and very welcome in the North Sea .. A solid block which you took a knife to and shaved off your prefared amount into a pot only adding boiling water...... A thick consistency, it kept hot for a lot longer period than Coffee or Cocoa and very welcomed by those on watch on the upper deck who used their mugs to thaw their frozen hands as kai warmed your insides like nothing else.