Coco drink?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Limers has gone now as it used to rot your guts, shame really because if the evap heat exchangers needed cleaning we used to make up a strong mix of limers, leave the pipework in it and 8 hours later they would be sparkling clean.

When the big tins of limers disappeared sachets of powered OJ appeared in the donk shop, Rise & Shine IIRC.

I always believed that Kai was a Naval remedy for all ills consisting of a mug of cocoa with a generous slop of rum in.
Spike. Ex deck ape

Last edited:
Hello all,

Most of the old ww2 RN books refer to a certain drink called ‘coco/coca’, which apparently consists of some sort of hot chocolate mix. According to the veterans I've spoken to this was originally in the form of a large, thick, block of chocolate which was heated and then poured into a mug. The drink was supposed to give a bit of an energy boost for those on watch and was a great comfort on the convoys.

I just wanted to check on the validity of these claims & ingredients as it does sound like a very interesting drink. Has anyone tried it or does anyone know if it's still available from somewhere?

-Vesper
Hot mug of cocoa was given sometimes at bedtime
Hello all,

Most of the old ww2 RN books refer to a certain drink called ‘coco/coca’, which apparently consists of some sort of hot chocolate mix. According to the veterans I've spoken to this was originally in the form of a large, thick, block of chocolate which was heated and then poured into a mug. The drink was supposed to give a bit of an energy boost for those on watch and was a great comfort on the convoys.

I just wanted to check on the validity of these claims & ingredients as it does sound like a very interesting drink. Has anyone tried it or does anyone know if it's still available from somewhere?

-Vesper

Dusty70

War Hero
The one and only time I had it (I think it was called Kai ?) was on cod war patrol in the arctic 1971 on the Puma - you could only do 15 mins on lookout because of the cold (so everyone had to do it S&S included) and you got this almost solid hot chocolate made from a solid block when you came in to the bridge - rumour was the old boys had rum in theirs - as a 16 year old I could only wonder ??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Letter from the Environment Secretary to the food and drink industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: CMA open letter to pharmaceutical and food and drink industries. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Growing global appetite for British food and drink exports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pivotal THINK! campaign calls on young men to step in and stop their mates from drink driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cheltenham recovery drink revitalises the UAE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: EU Exit guidance for food, drink and farming sector stakeholders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: No deal Brexit advice: guidance on food and drink labelling MoD News 0
B Drink Driving on HMNB PORTSMOUTH Bases / Shore Est 20
MoD_RSS News story: THINK! Campaign urges young men to stop their friends drink-driving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: David Rutley tours UK food and drink industry MoD News 0
C Drink Drive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
soleil Telegraph: "Armed Forces Drink 'To Point Of Oblivion', Minister Warns" The Quarterdeck 20
D Can skimmers still drink at sea? The Fleet 82
soleil Telegraph: "Sailors Given Freedom Of The City ... Then Refused A Drink" The Fleet 26
Blackrat Drink - The Alibi of a Nation. Diamond Lil's 27
sgtpepperband USN Doctor Prescribes "Monster Energy Drink to Cure Scurvy! Health & Fitness 6
Guzzler Drink Problem? Diamond Lil's 39
BillyNoMates Good News! Now you can DRINK it. Diamond Lil's 1
scouse Pongos refused a drink Diamond Lil's 59
Drakey Drink Driving Miscellaneous 0
Stirling Passed on and left his mates 'a drink' The Corps 6
P ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU DRINK Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Paddy...........Did you have a bit to drink last night? Miscellaneous 0
E drink driving and the navy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
O Ptsd and Drink Health & Fitness 146
sgtpepperband Navy man's drink-drive ban Current Affairs 80
P Doctor who used to drink now fit for work Current Affairs 5
daffy1 Drink driving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Rookie-WWFC Drink culture in the RN, Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
M Drink Driving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 106
Passed-over_Loggie Scotland and the Demon Drink Current Affairs 25
D Indias new soft drink. Diamond Lil's 1
NotmeChief You can drink and drive. The Quarterdeck 23
Guns Hot chocy drink with custard powder...... History 8
alhucoll Cut crime with drink tax - WTF! Current Affairs 8