Coco drink?

I remember Knocker White my QM on the Cherry B piping up to the OOW if he wanted a cup of afforsaid Kye "yes please QM" was the eager response, the drink was dispensed but not before Knocker had wiped his c*ck around the rim of the cup poor me as Bosuns Mate had to deliver it trying not to laugh when OOW told me what a fecking good brew it was.

Used to be a 'night watches ' issue at sea for the Middle and Morning
watchkeepers.
Fcukin delicious --was like a meal ,you didn't drink
it you ate it :thumright:

It was cooking chocolate but wasn't dark like civvie 'dark' chocolate .

:nemo: :nemo:

NotmeChief

Banned
sulzer said:
aka KAI. The dark unsweetened chocolate was supplied in a large block and was grated into a mug and hot water applied. I misssed the WW2 version but certainly in the 50s it remained as before. It was also very nice to gnaw with sharp young teeth.
The op new that - just couldn't spell it.

As a Trog we were given kai at standeasy at the G-Spot during Winter Routine.I seem to recall Carsons was the name on the blocks of kai dont know if they still exist,

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Jerry

Followed your Recipe to the letter and gave Mrs Kat a mug of

... She said it was better than sex

THANKS FOR NOTHING YOU ROTTEN GIT, SHE'S JUST FOUND A REPLACEMENT FOR MY ONLY FUN IN LIFE, MY PLACE FOR ACTION STATIONS HAS NOW GONE FROM THE BEDROOM TO THE KITCHEN. (lol)

Mind you she's finally found something that i'm good at :thumright:

josiecats

War Hero
stirling said:
thingy said:
Jerry_Hatrick said:
Now, at the risk of infringing the Official Secrets Act or upsetting OPSEC,
I place in the public domain one of the Navy’s best kept secrets, the recipe for Kye (AKA Kai).

This recipe is enough for two people (in most cases).

1. Break a small bar of plain dark chocolate into pieces.
2. Place pieces in a saucepan with one mug of hot water.
3. Heat up until the chocolate has melted.
4. Add one tin of condensed milk.
5. Bring to the boil and serve in mugs.

6. Add copious amounts of sugar to taste.

When out at sea, on look-out watch,
The hours pass slowly by,
But maybe someone brings to me
A mug of steaming kye

Anyone caught tampering with the above recipe, will incur my wrath.

Jerry
Most accounts I've read describe Kye as being a chocolate-hot water mixture made in hot, polished fannies, accidently (or deliberately ;) ) flavoured with Bluebell polish.
Kye fannies, were treated with the same reverence as grog fannies and were NEVER EVER polished. :thumright:

ooo i say.. Kye Bosn not getting a good errrr polishng!!! i shall have to sort that out!

Katweezil,

I tender my unreserved apologies for your current distressing domestic position.

However, now that you are in the galley, can I suggest a three course
candle lit meal for your better half.

For the menu I would suggest Shit on a Raft for starters, followed by
Baby heads, and then Train Smash. I believe that Nutty does a
Take Away service for all three.

It may not get you back in the bedroom, but it should get you out of the
kitchen.

Good luck.

Jerry

Yorkie_S/M

Lantern Swinger
May I suggest that the dessert course for the candle lit dinner proposed by Jerry for Mrs Kat. That Pusser's delight Chinky Wedding Cake, to give an Olympic theme.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jerry_Hatrick said:
Katweezil,

I tender my unreserved apologies for your current distressing domestic position.

However, now that you are in the galley, can I suggest a three course
candle lit meal for your better half.

For the menu I would suggest Shit on a Raft for starters, followed by
Baby heads, and then Train Smash. I believe that Nutty does a
Take Away service for all three.

It may not get you back in the bedroom, but it should get you out of the
kitchen.

Good luck.

Jerry
Ah! Shit on a Raft, I always loved it for brekkers, picture the scene, Mrs Janner, heavily pregnant in the humid heat of Singapore, its true to say that she wasn't feeling her best.

Stay there my love, says the ever caring Janner, I will make you a breakfast that will make you feel a lot better.

In no time at all I had prepared that feast of the Gods, carefully diced kidneys, loads of good thick gravy made with the juices and golden fried bread.

With a proud smile on my face I went back into the bedroom bearing this offerring, I carefully placed it on her lap, she made several strange noises and somewhat swiftly passed the tray back and made a hasty exit into the bathroom, she seem to converse with Bill and Mary for sometime and then returned to the bedroom looking decidly unwell.

Shit on a Raft has been a no-no in the Janner household ever since, it wouldn't be so bad but this happened in 1961.

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Guys

There used to be a website that had all these fab recipes (A Submariners Assoc I think) but its gone from the ether.

Any one out there know where I can get the recipe for Shit on a raft, I know there are a few variations of it concerning the bread base and kidney preparation. Does anyone know the deviled kidney variant that doesn't use mustard as I react badly to it!

Kat

PS - Jerry thanks for the advice but i'm only sitting on the bench at the moment, I do not want expelled from the stadium!

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
Cheers Jerry

Got the webby address now so shall start assulting the mem Sahibs Digestive tract untill full congegal rights have been restored !

Vesper said:
I must confess that on my brief stints aboard HM ships in the modern period I have not come across Kai being brewed, am I correct in assuming it has gone the way of the rum tot?

I may certainly try it, but I'd like to try & get hold of the right chocolate, maybe the choc bars in the 24hr rat packs would be appropriate as they are usually quite tasteless?

-Vesper
Elf & Safety!!! Dude.

Topsey

As a Junior seaman in 1960 I was taught by a 3 badgeman the CORRECT wa to make Pussers Kai
1 block of Carsons Kai chocolate, finely grated with a pussers dirk into the Kai fanny,
1 bag of sugar (maybe a lot more according to taste)
3 heaped spoons of custard powder
at least 2 tins of Carnation condensed milk [connie]
mix with boiling water making sure the chocolate is fully melted whilst stirring all the time.
Final act down to the boiler room for a friendly stoker with a steam pipe.
when the ladle stands upright unaided it is ready for the watch on deck

Dusty70

War Hero
All showing your age here methinks - I joined in 1970 and KAI (to my knowledge) no longer existed (and I did the cod wars as lookout so would have been welcomed)

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
I remember Knocker White my QM on the Cherry B piping up to the OOW if he wanted a cup of afforsaid Kye "yes please QM" was the eager response, the drink was dispensed but not before Knocker had wiped his c*ck around the rim of the cup poor me as Bosuns Mate had to deliver it trying not to laugh when OOW told me what a fecking good brew it was.
That made me laugh as I remember similar fun on the Plymouth where there were two near vertical ladders from the main drag up past the Ops room and onto the bridge. I've known many a steward take gulpers from a cup of coffee or tea destined for the OOW before spitting it back in the cup just before arrival at the top of the second ladder so as not to spill anything in the saucer. Heard many other nasty stories from the Wardroom Stewards!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Nice to see a 10 year old thread resurrected! Especially a) about chocolate and b) at this 'chocolately' time of year!

We had kai on the Antrim when I was a baby dabber in those days. By then we had tins of dark 'drinking' chocolate dust (large orange cans?).The sprog was detailed off about 0200 to make the kai, having been previously well trained in the art. As mentioned, it was one whole tin in the fanny, can of condensed or evaporated milk a bag of sugar (we were young and cold!) and some water. This was heated using a steam drain pipe in some dirty back aft place, then the maler took it round the (Seaman) bods that were on duty, like the Lifebouy ghost, emergency boat crew, bridge wing watchkepers etc. Jeez, they had some crappy watchkeeping positions to keep the lads happy.......

Anyway, kai was brilliant! Especially at about 0230!

Spookily enough, here in Spain they have a REALY thick chocolate drink for breakfast and deep fried batter (like doughnuts) which you dunk in the choccy!