cockroaches and weevils

HMS Rhyl was full of them, when we removed the bar in the Fwd Po's mess the leatherete padding was alive. We went into Chatham & they sealed the ship in Refit & Cyanide gassed them. Unfortunaely of course the eggs hatched later.
On Fearless in the early 80's used to watch them run across the rice pudding.
Only ever saw 1 on a Hunt Class, probably due to the smell of the GRP, perhaps they did'nt like the motion?

dt018a9667

War Hero
hobbit said:
Yeah , saw my first bombay runner in Singas on the wharf at night. I thought it was a mouse the bugger was that big. Not many wee beasties on boats although crabs seemed to survive OK. Shave orf them was the days. Dunno how the crabs survived the diesel though,
:mrgreen:

But don’t they make a nice crunching sound when you stand on them

exile1

Lantern Swinger
Chatham seemed to be the home port ships de-fumigated for cockroaches. 1959 the Jutland was done there after being in the Med and a few months later they were back again. On the Lynx [1960] you were better off in a 'mick' as the 'bunkies' in the for'ard mess had them running over them when lights out!!!

exile1 said:
Chatham seemed to be the home port ships de-fumigated for cockroaches. 1959 the Jutland was done there after being in the Med and a few months later they were back again. On the Lynx [1960] you were better off in a 'mick' as the 'bunkies' in the for'ard mess had them running over them when lights out!!!
Were all the Cats/Cathedral class based based there at the end of their lives? I remember seeing them awaiting disposal alongside at that time. All diesel powered I believe, ASR diesels same as the bottom dwellers had fitted.

exile1

Lantern Swinger
Don't know what happened to them after I left Lynx in March '62. The only sea time I had for the next 22 years was on the Star Ferry and Brown Bagging it for 'pleasure cruises' on the Grey Funnel Line!

Scylla always seemed to getting disinfested. They always did it over a weekend alongside in Chatham.
It really sucked if you happened to be duty weekend, waiting for meals on wheels to turn up, as the galley was shut.

They seemed to re-appear as if by magic, though. We always reckoned the buggers hid until the death squads left.

I was Chatham based until late '80, and RSU still had the old Cat Class ships there.

Robbed blind, of course.

submatelot said:
Oh the memories sitting in the stalls at Samberwang waiting for your EGG BANJO with money in the pot as a cocky appeared on the table BANG GRAB EAT if you were first to devour it you would grab the pot
Memories again!..... did you have one, or many, sharing your plate of nosh in the 'restaurants' outside the bars?

Nothing like having a cold 1/2 egg banjo when you woke up in the morning, providing one of your messmates hadn't scoffed it in the meantime !!

More memories?.... minesweeping the dockyard bar, after kicking everyone else out, when you were bar patrol.