cockroaches and weevils

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by harryaitch, Apr 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did you have a locker full of roaches?(no I dont mean the smoking kind) :roll: or a bowl full of weevils for breakfast.?Added nutrition maybe,but infestation on some ships was pretty bad.My first ship the Eagle in 64 had to be fumigated due the large amount of cockroaches.Everybody carried ronson lighters(high flame)whilst queueing for nosh to burn them off the bulkheads.Despite not keeping food in ones locker the buggers still managed to make themselves at home. 8O Weevils in the little cereal packets was also a problem.even though they were sealed.It was waiting for them to rise to the top of the milk and spoon them out before eating,mind you it took practice and you would never get them all and we got used to the ritual 8)

Of course we came across cockroaches ashore when dining out at such gourmet place as bugis street and the stalls in sembawng village at Singapore.But they were bigger and more likley to nick the spoon off the table rather than the mutton curry. :lol: Any thoughts :?:
  2. Not a problem in D/E boats due to the continous fluctuation of air pressure between 22 inches and 32 inches.

3. Nutty,thankyou that bit of technical knowledge,what no infestation apart from the crew?!!
  4. seen an albino cocky once on hmas melbourne,IT was living down the e/r
    Prob a uk import, brown bread courtesy of left plastic sandle(work that out)
  5. still on the topic of wee beasties ,scabies gota be in the running,
  6. Arry

Thats why WAFU's were never found on boats they died along with all the other infestations.

Luv Nutty
  7. errmmmm nutty m8 i dont know how long u was on boats but u should have noticed no sun deck for wafus on their hols thats why we didn't do boats :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. The old galley(Canada Block)in Haslar was rife with them!Turn the light on at night and the deck was black with the little buggers!
  9. 'oooooh :roll: nasty nutty! :lol:

10. He's right... 8)
  11. First night at HMAS Penguin and we were just settling down for a kip, when one of the new lads in a top bunk starts pulling it apart saying he had found a spider. Just as he got back into his bunk, Buckwheat asked if it was a Redback. Dunno was the reply. Well I'd watch out if was you as they work in pairs. Neither him or his oppo in the bunk below got any sleep that night
  12. In modern times yes, but not a correct statement unless you allowed us Dabtoes to mess about and launch your beloved flying machines.

E22 and a couple of other E Class boats, circa 1915, were fitted with two Sopworth Schnider seaplanes on the after casing. Boat would dive to float them off and partial surface to recover.

M2 Lost in January 1932 near Portland. Fitted with hanger and aircraft.

Must have been WAFU's of some type to look after said aircraft and throw them into the air.

13. Whilst doing DHP on Intrepid in 86 the pot wash was always awash with the little blighters. The fun game was catching one and watching it break dance on the SR's hot plate on steak night.
  14. Oh the memories sitting in the stalls at Samberwang waiting for your EGG BANJO with money in the pot as a cocky appeared on the table BANG GRAB EAT if you were first to devour it you would grab the pot
  15. There was thousand's of the b*******s in the galley in Collingwood in 1971, i then joined the old Ark Royal in march 72 and can't remember ever seeing another one for the six years i served on her.
  16. being blind drunk for six years probably had something to do with that
  17. Worked OK till some stupid WAFU left the hanger doors open

18. Drake vivtualling office/stores in the old H&B blocks were riddled with Bombay runners & mice for years, who said you can’t have the two together?

Ps we even used mouse traps old style sprung ones of course
  19. Hi,

Intrepid in 1974/5 was full of them, first up for the morning watch in the main galley , open door, turn on the light and the deck ran away from you, they were everywhere.

took my first wife to momba's in the 80's, she sh1t herself big style, first time she saw a giant millipede cross the path in front of her. laugh I nearly followed through :D
  20. Yeah , saw my first bombay runner in Singas on the wharf at night. I thought it was a mouse the bugger was that big. Not many wee beasties on boats although crabs seemed to survive OK. Shave orf them was the days. Dunno how the crabs survived the diesel though,