Cockpit dimensions

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by kurtraynor, Nov 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

This is my first post here but I've been dropping in from time to time to see what's being said.

I've just been down to AIB (my second attempt) and passed, with the intention of becoming a pilot, preferably a fast jet pilot. Pending the results of my ECG and blood test, the doctor who did my medical seemed to think that I was fit to fly. Happy days.

There's one snag though, that my thigh length is 4mm over the maximum allowed for harrier pilots. I'm clutching at straws here, but does anyone know if there's any flexibility in this? Or if the JSF is likely to have a larger cockpit when it arrives in service? Or if there's some hack surgeon out there who will cut about an inch section out of both my thighs?!

Like I said, clutching at straws, but I'm pretty gutted about it and if anyone had any information that would be really great...

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

no one will be flying JSF for a long while yet - so as far as the RN stovie option goes, its Harrier or nothing. Which is tough luck.
  3. He may be the lucky ONE as we may only get ONE.
  4. Thigh length is very important if you want to retain your legs when you have to bang out. Longer legs tend to be chopped off! Why not settle for rotary wing?
  5. There was a pilot on my SIC at Dartmouth and his legs had been measured as being too long. They winched him in and out of a cockpit to make sure he'd be able to eject without problems.

Does this still happen?
  6. Whats your cocks dimension?
  7. No. If your dimensions are too big, even by 1mm, you'll be classified A2, which means you're going onto helos.
  8. This is not required unless it is longer than the thigh length,
  9. Being a lanky sort myself and having had similar problems, I'd do two things:

1. Ask to be re-measured. I was initially measured incorrectly and almost ended up going multi/rotary as a result. Make sure the guy doing it seems to be doing it properly.

2. Ask if a cockpit check is on the cards. I was cleared on several types (Tucano, Hawk, Tornado, Harrier) by an avmed doctor and pilot. (Although can't remember if my thigh length was the issue, think it was sitting height).

All this was in a previous career with the light blue so things may be different in the RN, but keep pushing until you get a definite answer!

Good luck!